10961 Berlin, de
+44 (1892) 5527-20
Synchronica Boosts New Geo Socialization Segment with uChat
- First geo socialization product, Synchronica uChat blends messaging and location functionality to extend the user's social circle by delivering dynamic, one-to-one or group chat based on current location or nearby points of interest
- Geo socialization services provide mobile operators and device manufacturers with a revenue-generating, loyalty-enhancing alternative to the growing threat from over-the-top (OTT) services
- Follow @SynchronicaPLC for live Synchronica updates from Mobile World Congress
- Demo available at Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, hall 2, stand 2A37
Synchronica plc, the global innovator in mobile messaging solutions, has entered the new geo socialization segment with uChat. Designed to enable new, realtime user experiences while on the move, uChat blends messaging and location functionality and extends the user's social circle by delivering dynamic, one-to-one or group chat based on current location or nearby points of interest.
Geo socialization was cited by Frost & Sullivan as "the next trend in social networking" in its Top 20 Mega Trends report . Geo socialization lets mobile users connect, interact, and coordinate with their immediate surroundings - people, places and events - while on the move.
Incorporated into uChat, part of Synchronica's Unity family of advanced messaging solutions, the geo socialization chat functionality enhances the existing messaging experience and can be used to attract new users and increase usage rates. It is available now as a white label solution to mobile operators and device manufacturers.
uChat Geo Socialization allows mobile subscribers to see who and what's near them and to build new connections beyond their existing social circle. Subscribers opt in to geo socialization services with their service provider and, using the chat functionality in uChat Geo Socialization, are able to get involved in one-to-one or group chats based on their current location and specific interests.
Users will see a dynamic list of walls on their screens of opportunities near them for socializing via their mobile device. The chats take place in public message groups, and users can choose to remain anonymous or share limited information about themselves with others.
- Common interests: Joining and participating in point of interest (POI) chat rooms (e.g., at a coffee shop, book store, restaurant, or cultural landmark)
- Group fan chats: Initiating or participating in a group chat at a music concert, sports event, or any other type of event attended by large groups of enthusiasts
- Professional networking: Participating in a discussion at a conference, trade event, or other professional association event Kim Hartlev, CTO, Synchronica, says: "By adding geo socialization functionality to our Unity range of advanced messaging solutions, we are giving mobile operators and device manufacturers the opportunity to offer subscribers a new and compelling social networking experience on the move."
"This not only helps to combat the threat from emerging OTT players, such as WhatsApp, but also helps to reduce churn and increase the average revenue per user (ARPU). We have a range of geo socialization solutions in the works and are already seeing interest from customers throughout the world for these types of services", Hartlev adds.
Two potential, specific use cases:
Small Business Owner
A sandwich truck owner uses Synchronica's uChat geo socialization technology to increase her sandwich sales as she does her daily rounds. As she arrives at each location, she logs into uChat and broadcasts to everyone near her that she is there and ready to take orders. She also starts broadcasting her impending departure. Her walk-up traffic increases significantly, and revenues from her regular customers increase too because they know exactly when she is in the vicinity and for how long.
A soccer fan joins the POI group at the soccer stadium so he can chat with other spectators during the match. The additional fan interaction improves his experience: He is able to interact with other spectators closer to the action, who can confirm whether the referee's call was a good one or not; and he can chat with other fans in realtime about goals, penalties, and who should be awarded player of the match.
Geo socialization services will provide mobile operators and device manufacturers with a revenue-generating, loyalty-enhancing alternative to the growing threat from OTT messaging services, such as WhatsApp.
Synchronica expects geo socialization services to be relevant to both developed and emerging economies. Future geo socialization functionality from Synchronica will be based around a completely new, highly social user experience that will be decoupled from instant messaging and presence service (IMPS) and will not rely on existing social networks.
 February 2011
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.