12099 Berlin, de
+49 (30) 75019-134
aap: Successful start in 2017 with sales and EBITDA increase
30% sales growth in trauma in Q1/2017
Q1/2017 – Key results and progress
- Sales and earnings: Sales increased to EUR 3.1 million (Q1/2016: EUR 2.5 million) and EBITDA to EUR -1.7 million (Q1/2016: EUR -2.2 million); recurring EBITDA at EUR -1.2 million (Q1/2016: EUR -2.0 million)
- Gross margin and costs: First positive effects in increasing gross margin through focussing on trauma and growing sales share in established markets; perceptible reduction in personnel and other costs inter alia as a result of personnel measures undertaken in 2016
- Cash flow and balance sheet: Cash need in Q1/2017 totalled EUR 1.1 million with positive effects from working capital reduction; liquidity position of EUR 27.4 million1 and a further high equity ratio of 86%
- Focus on established markets: Share of sales attributable to North America and Europe together increased by 16% to EUR 2.1 million (Q1/2016: EUR 1.8 million); conclusion of a distribution agreement for the LOQTEQ® Radius System with a worldwide leading US medical technology company
- LOQTEQ®: Completion of portfolio with a focus on the preparation of approvals for further polyaxial LOQTEQ® systems
- Silver coating technology: Focus on coordinating scope of clinical study with notified body and US FDA; approach, timetable and required resources will be published in a separate release
Q1/2017 - Financials
With regard to the sales development, it turns out that the dynamic development in North America and Europe continued in the first quarter of 2017. This reflects simultaneously the progress in the targeted distribution focus on established markets such as North America, the DACH region and further European countries. Besides this the sales development in BRICS and SMIT states shows a positive trend towards stabilization.
Based on the realized sales growth with a higher gross margin and lower overall costs at the same time, aap improved EBITDA in the first quarter of 2017 by 23% compared to the first three months of the previous year to EUR -1.7 million (Q1/2016: EUR -2.2 million).
Given that the figures for both Q1/2017 and the same period in the previous year contain one-time effects, a comparison based on Recurring EBITDA (EBITDA without one-time effects) makes sense. Adjusted for the one-time effects mentioned above, recurring EBITDA in the reporting period rose by 39% to EUR -1.2 million (Q1/2016: EUR -2.0 million), reflecting the aimed development: a focus on established markets with higher profit margins and simultaneous a disciplined cost management to improve operational performance. These areas of activity are of central significance for the management in the financial year 2017.
Outlook for Q2/2017
For the second quarter of 2017 aap expects sales of EUR 1.8 million to EUR 2.7 million and EBITDA of EUR -1.7 million to EUR -1.3 million. Regarding the above mentioned sales forecast it has to be considered with respect to the year on year comparison (Total sales Q2/2016 reported at EUR 3.4 million) that in course of drawing up the annual financial statements for 2016 the Management Board decided as a precautionary measure to revoke an initial sale with a distribution partner invoiced in the second quarter. The reason was a delayed payment of the contractual due purchase price. After adjusting for this effect this results in comparable trauma sales of EUR 2.3 million for the second quarter of 2016 respectively total sales (incl. discontinued activities) of EUR 2.7 million.
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current experience, estimates and projections of the management board and currently available information. They are not guarantees of future performance. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. Many factors could cause the actual results, performance or achievements of aap to be materially different from those that may be expressed or implied by such statements. These factors include those discussed in aap's public reports. Forward-looking statements therefore speak only as of the date they are made. aap does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking statements contained in this release or to conform them to future events or developments.
1 In the consolidated balance sheet of 03/31/2017, EUR 22.7 million is stated as cash and cash equivalents, while cash with banks totalling EUR 4.7 million is shown under other financial assets as it was pledged to secure financial liabilities respectively cash payments were made to secure bank guarantees granted to third parties.
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an firstname.lastname@example.org.