85356 Freising, de
+49 (89) 23031-624
Texas Instruments MEMS innovation brings IR temperature measurement to portable consumer electronics
Industry's first single-chip IR MEMS temperature sensor will enable new user apps, device features
"The TMP006 solves our customers' need for advanced thermal management of processors, and allows for optimizing system performance and safety even as processing power increases and form factors continue to shrink," said Steve Anderson, senior vice president of TI's High Performance Analog business. "And with the TMP006, for the first time mobile device manufacturers will be able to measure the temperature of objects outside the phone, which will unleash an entirely new functionality for apps developers to creatively tap into."
The TMP006 is the most highly-integrated device of its kind. It integrates an on-chip MEMS thermopile sensor, signal conditioning, a 16-bit analog-to-digital-converter (ADC), local temperature sensor and voltage references on a single 1.6-mm x 1.6-mm chip. It provides a complete digital solution for contactless temperature measurement that is 95 percent smaller than any other thermopile sensor.
Key features and benefits:
- Integrates MEMS sensor with supporting analog circuitry, reducing solution size 95 percent compared to the competition.
- Uses only 240 uA quiescent current and 1 uA in shutdown mode - 90 percent less power than competitive solutions.
- Supports a wide temperature range of -40 degrees to +125 degrees Celsius (C) with an accuracy of +/- 0.5 degree C (typical) on the local sensor and accuracy of +/- 1 degrees C (typical) for the passive IR sensor.
- Includes I2C/SMBus digital interface.
- Complements TI's extensive portfolio of industry-leading ultra-small, low-power consumption analog and embedded processing products for portable applications, including battery management, interface, audio codecs and wireless connectivity devices.
Tools and support
An evaluation module is available now for the TMP006 for $50. An IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements is also available, along with full source code for calculating object temperature and applications notes.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TMP006 is available now in a 1.6-mm x 1.6-mm WCSP for a suggested retail price of $1.50 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's temperature sensors by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the TMP006: www.ti.com/tmp006-preu.
- Watch a demo: www.ti.com/tmp006v-pr.
- Download the datasheet: www.ti.com/tmp006ds-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Temperature Sensors Forum in the TI E2E(TM) Community: www.ti.com/e2etemp-pr.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to email@example.com.