TI spins out eight new motor drivers for stepper, brushed DC motors
New motor drivers lower RDSon more than 60 percent compared to previous generation for higher current and better thermal performanceDallas, )
Key features and benefits
- Bipolar stepper motor drivers: 2.5-A to 5-A peak current options and control interfaces for phase-enable (PH/EN), step/direction with indexer and pulse-width modulation (PWM) control. Supports 1/256 and greater microstepping, along with slow, mixed and fast decay modes, for smooth, quiet, high-resolution motion profiles in applications such as printers, scanners, security cameras, cash handlers, medical equipment and factory automation.
- Brushed DC motor drivers: 2.5-A to 5-A peak current options and control interfaces for PH/EN and PWM control. On-chip cycle-by-cycle inrush protection limits start-up and stall currents, protecting the driver and reducing overall system cost in a variety of applications, such as printers, robotics, toys, servo motors, textile manufacturing equipment, solenoid valves and consumer electronics.
- Robust, reliable and fully protected: Advanced on-chip protection, including over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through and under-voltage lock-out increases system reliability and manufacturing yields.
- Reduce design complexity and time to market: DRV8x motor drivers integrate the gate drive circuitry, MOSFETs, protection circuitry and current regulation circuitry to reduce design complexity, board space and time to market compared to discrete solutions.
- Upgrade path: Pin-for-pin compatibility with existing DRV8x motor drivers provides flexibility for high or low current.
Tools and support
An evaluation module (EVM), including schematics, gerbers, an easy-to-use graphical user interface for easy setup, and all necessary cabling and software, is available for each of the eight new motor drivers for a suggested retail price of $149.
Package, availability and pricing
The new DRV8x motor drivers are available today in a 9.7 mm x 6.4 mm HTSSOP package. All are priced at $2.25 in 1,000-unit quantities with the exception of the DRV8825, which is available for $2.40 for 1,000 units.
New additions to the DRV8x motor driver family include:
*Bipolar stepper motor drivers
- DRV8813: Up to 2.5 A with four levels of current regulation and a PH/EN control interface.
- DRV8825: Up to 2.5 A with on-chip indexer supporting up to 32 microsteps.
- DRV8829: Up to 5 A with 32 levels of current regulation and a PH/EN control interface; two DRV8829 devices are required to drive a single 5-A bipolar stepper motor.
*Brushed DC motor drivers
- DRV8814: Supports two 2.5-A brushed DC motors with cycle-by-cycle inrush protection and a PH/EN control interface.
- DRV8840: Up to 5 A with cycle-by-cycle inrush protection and a PH/EN control interface.
*Bipolar stepper or brushed DC motor drivers
- DRV8841: Supports a single 2.5-A bipolar stepper motor or two 2.5-A brushed DC motors with four levels of current regulation, cycle-by-cycle inrush protection and a PWM control interface supporting brake.
- DRV8842: Supports a single 5-A brushed DC motor; two DRV8842 devices can also be used to drive a single 5-A bipolar stepper motor; includes 32 level of current regulation, cycle-by cycle inrush protection and a PWM control interface supporting brake.
- DRV8843: Supports a single 2.5-A bipolar stepper motor or two 2.5-A brushed DC motors with four levels of current regulation, cycle-by-cycle inrush protection and a PWM control interface supporting brake and coast.
Learn more about TI's motor control solutions by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the DRV8x family: www.ti.com/drv8x-preu.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Motor Drivers Forum in the TI E2E(TM) Community: www.ti.com/e2emotor-pr.
- Check out motor drive and control selection guides, training, videos, application notes and block diagrams: www.ti.com/motor-pr.
TI spins motors
TI combines a rich history in motor drive and control, a broad portfolio of analog and microcontroller products and a comprehensive offering of tools, software and support to deliver efficient, reliable, cost-effective motor solutions. Customers can get the right solutions at the right performance level to quickly spin any motor, including AC induction (ACIM), brushed DC, brushless DC (BLDC), PMSM and stepper.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.