TI introduces industry's highest accuracy lithium-ion battery monitor for electric mobility, power tools and UPS
Intelligent IC extends battery pack lifetime, energy delivery and system safety
The bq76PL536 also provides full secondary protection for over voltage, under voltage and over temperature conditions. When safety thresholds are exceeded, the device sets the fault and alert outputs independently of the normal communication channel. No external components are needed to configure or enable the protection features.
Key features and benefits
- ±1-mV typical voltage measurement accuracy increases battery gas gauging accuracy to determine remaining capacity, cell-balancing efficiency and system safety.
- Integrated secondary level of protection for over-voltage, under-voltage and over-temperature conditions increases safety without adding component cost.
- Vertically stackable to monitor up to 192 cells without additional isolation components between ICs.
- High-speed 1-Mb/s serial peripheral interface (SPI) bus operates between each bq76PL536 to provide reliable communication.
- AEC-100 production flow, reliability and testing for automotive applications.
- Cell-balancing drivers extend the available capacity and lifetime of the battery pack by maintaining state of charge and capacity balance.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq76pl536 family of devices:
- bq76pl536EVM-3 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq76pl536evm-preu
- bq76pl536EVM-3 evaluation software: www.ti.com/....
- bq76536PGM-1 programmable board: www.ti.com/bq76pl536board-pr.
- bq76pl536-1 programmable software: www.ti.com/....
Availability and pricing
The bq76PL536 and bq76PL536-Q1 battery monitors are available now in a 64-pin HTQFP package; suggested resale pricing starts at $4.30 in quantities of 1,000.
Find out more about TI's battery management portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Download TI's 2011 Power Management Selection Guide at: www.ti.com/powermanagement-pr.
- Access TI's complete power management portfolio: www.ti.com/power-pr.
- Download TI's new 2011 Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Solutions Guide: www.ti.com/hevguide-pr.
- Learn about "Implementing battery monitoring technology for UPS applications" from Matthew Borne's short video at www.ti.com/bq76pl536v-pr.
- Learn about "Implementing battery-monitoring technology for hybrid and electric vehicle applications" by viewing Robert Shoemaker's video at www.ti.com/bq76pl536Q1v-pr.
Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.