13811 Wireless Way
V6V 3A Richmond, British Columbia, ca
David G. McLennan
+1 (604) 231-1181
Sierra Wireless Reports Second Quarter 2011 Results
- Revenue in the second quarter 2011 of $139.9 million, in-line with guidance
- Non-GAAP loss from operations of $0.8 million and diluted loss per share of $0.03
- Core M2M revenue up 14% year-over-year
- Mobile Computing business launching new 4G LTE AirCard® products in Q3
- Company expects significant sequential revenue growth in the second half
Sierra Wireless, Inc. (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) today reported second quarter 2011 results. All results are reported in U.S. dollars and are prepared in accordance with United States generally accepted accounting principles ("GAAP"), except as otherwise indicated below.
Revenue for the second quarter of 2011 was $139.9 million, a decrease of 12% compared to $159.1 million in the second quarter of 2010, and a decrease of 3% compared to $144.3 million in the first quarter of 2011. The year-over-year revenue decrease was principally driven by the loss of revenue from Barnes & Noble and Clearwire, which together accounted for nearly $25 million in revenue in the second quarter of 2010. Mobile Computing revenue was $66.0 million, down 13% compared to $75.5 million in the second quarter of 2010. Machine-to-Machine ("M2M") revenue was $73.9 million, down 12% compared to $83.6 million in the second quarter of 2010. Excluding sales to Barnes & Noble, the company's core M2M business increased 14% in the second quarter of 2011 on a year-over-year basis.
"Notwithstanding a slower than expected start to 2011, Sierra Wireless remains well positioned in our two target markets. In Mobile Computing, we are launching several new 4G LTE products with key operators and PC OEMs. In M2M, we continue to build on our global leadership position and successfully drive value chain expansion," said Jason Cohenour, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Our growth drivers remain intact and despite some product launch delays, we expect significant sequential revenue and earnings growth in the second half of 2011."
On a GAAP basis, gross margin was $39.1 million, or 28.0% of revenue, in the second quarter of 2011 compared to $46.2 million, or 29.0% of revenue, in the second quarter of 2010. Operating expenses were $45.4 million and loss from operations was $6.3 million in the second quarter of 2011, compared to operating expenses of $49.7 million and a loss from operations of $3.5 million in the second quarter of 2010. Net loss was $6.8 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2011, compared to a net loss of $8.6 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2010.
On a non-GAAP basis, gross margin was 28.0% in the second quarter of 2011, compared to 29.1% in the second quarter of 2010. Operating expenses were $40.0 million and loss from operations was $0.8 million in the second quarter of 2011, compared to operating expenses of $41.7 million and earnings from operations of $4.7 million in the second quarter of 2010. Net loss was $1.0 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2011 compared to net earnings of $4.4 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2010.
Non-GAAP results exclude the impact of stock-based compensation expense, acquisition amortization, integration costs, restructuring costs, foreign exchange gains or losses on translation of balance sheet accounts, and certain tax adjustments. We disclose non-GAAP amounts as we believe that these measures provide our shareholders with better information on actual operating results and assist in comparisons from one period to another. The reconciliation between our GAAP and non-GAAP results of operations is provided in the accompanying schedules.
The following guidance for the third quarter of 2011 reflects current business indicators and expectations. In the third quarter of 2011, we expect revenue to improve significantly relative to the second quarter, driven by the launch of new 4G AirCard products, as well as continued steady year-over-year growth in our core M2M product lines.
Inherent in this guidance are risk factors that are described in greater detail in our regulatory filings. Our actual results could differ materially from those presented below. All figures are approximations based on management's current beliefs and assumptions.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements and information in this press release are not based on historical facts and constitute forward-looking statements or forward-looking information within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and Canadian securities laws ("forward-looking statements") including statements and information relating to our financial guidance for the second quarter of 2011 and our fiscal year 2011, our business outlook for the short and longer term and our strategy, plans and future operating performance. Forward-looking statements are provided to help you understand our views of our short and longer term prospects. We caution you that forward-looking statements may not be appropriate for other purposes. We will not update or revise our forward-looking statements unless we are required to do so by securities laws.
- Typically include words and phrases about the future such as "outlook", "may", "estimates", "intends", "believes", "plans", "anticipates" and "expects"
- Are not promises or guarantees of future performance. They represent our current views and may change significantly;
- Are based on a number of material assumptions, including those listed below, which could prove to be significantly incorrect:
- Our ability to develop, manufacture and sell new products and services that meet the needs of our customers and gain commercial acceptance;
- Our ability to continue to sell our products and services in the expected quantities at the expected prices and expected times;
- Expected transition period to our 4G products;
- Expected cost of goods sold;
- Expected component supply constraints;
- Our ability to "win" new business;
- That wireless network operators will deploy next generation networks when expected;
- Our operations are not adversely disrupted by component shortages or other development, operating or regulatory risks; and
- Expected tax rates and foreign exchange rates.
- Are subject to substantial known and unknown material risks and uncertainties. Many factors could cause our actual results, achievements and developments in our business to differ significantly from those expressed or implied by our forward-looking statements, including without limitation, the following factors, most of which are discussed in greater detail. These risk factors and others are discussed in our Annual Information Form and Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations, which may be found on SEDAR at www.sedar.com and on EDGAR at www.sec.gov and in our other regulatory filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the United States and the Provincial Securities Commissions in Canada.
- Actual sales volumes or prices for our products and services may be lower than we expect for any reason including, without limitation, the continuing uncertain economic conditions, price and product competition, different product mix, the loss of any of our significant customers, competition from new or established wireless communication companies;
- The cost of products sold may be higher than planned or necessary component supplies may not be available, are delayed or are not available on commercially reasonable terms;
- We may be unable to enforce our intellectual property rights or may be subject to litigation that has an adverse outcome;
- The development and timing of the introduction of our new products may be later than we expect or may be indefinitely delayed.
- Transition periods associated with the migration to new technologies may be longer than we expect.
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to email@example.com.