Option reports second half year and full year 2010 results
During the second half of 2010 the Company continued to suffer from the selling practices of Chinese competitors in Europe.
The Company is thankful for the continuous support from its personnel, its customers mainly outside Europe, the banks and its suppliers.
The Company initiated a process to sell M4S, Option's owned 4G RF semiconductor subsidiary, which was successfully sold for EUR 8 million to Huawei Technologies.
Furthermore Huawei agreed to license Option's uCAN® Connection Manager software, for which in the first year of the license the amount of EUR 27 million was paid. The agreement included the potential for an extension of the license for an amount of up to EUR 33 million over the next 18 months based on mutually agreed contractual milestones. Of this, EUR 11 million was already paid in 2011.
In the spirit of this collaboration, the Company has withdrawn its anti-dumping and anti-subsidy complaints against imports of wireless wide area networking modems from China, asked the Belgian government to withdraw its safeguard request and asked the European Commission to close all three investigations.
The Company signed a commercial agreement with InterDigital, for the delivery of software and development services in connection with Option's uCAN Connect software platform for the minimum amount of $ 1.5 million.
The Company embarked on an industrial transformation that is continuing as the Company moved away from the highly commoditized segments of the market. The company continues to have a good sales pipeline and interesting opportunities in its strategic pillars it has identified.
Together with the CEO, the following people will deliver on these strategic pillars:
- Bart Goedseels, rejoining the company, as Chief Operating Officer overseeing the Business Units Embedded Solutions, Mobile Devices & Solutions and managing Operations;
- Patrick Hofkens as Chief Development Officer overseeing Innovation & Business Development, Security Solutions and the Business Unit Connection Manager;
- Jan Smits as CFO overseeing Finance, IT, Legal and HR.
The Board of Directors is strengthened with Francis Vanderhoydonck as independent director replacing Arnoud De Meyer. Mr. Vanderhoydonck will act as chairman of the Audit Committee.
Francis Vanderhoydonck is Master of Law and Economic Sciences and obtained an MBA from New York University. From 1986 to 1998, he worked at Generale Bank, where he held a number of positions in the investment banking department. From 1995 to 1998, he was responsible for this department. Now, he works with Maple Finance Group, which is specialized in the management of private equity investment funds and corporate finance. He also is director in a number of companies.
The Board of Directors now counts six (6) members: Olivier Lefebvre, Jan Callewaert, Philip Vermeulen, Lawrence Levy, David A. Hytha and Francis Vanderhoydonck.
Financial Highlights of the second half year 2010
- Total revenues for the second half year of 2010 were EUR 26.9 million compared with EUR 55.1 million realized in the second half year of 2009.
- Gross margin for the second half year 2010 was EUR 9.4 million compared with EUR 5.7 million for the comparable period in 2009. Gross margin for the second half year 2010 was 34.8% on total revenues, compared with a gross margin of 10.3% for the comparable period in 2009. The gross margin for the second half year 2010 was positively influenced by more important software revenues.
- Compared to the second half year 2009, total operating expenses, in the second half of 2010 decreased with EUR 18.6 million from EUR 39.6 million to EUR 21 million as a result of the restructuring exercises, initiated in 2009 and effective cost control within the Group.
- The sale of the subsidiary M4S to Huawei in the last quarter of 2010, for 7.1 million EUR in net proceeds, generated other income of EUR 871 thousand.
- The second half year 2010 EBIT amounted to EUR -10.8 million compared with EUR -33.9 million during the corresponding period in 2009.
- Result before taxes amounted to EUR -10.8 million in the second half of 2010 compared with EUR -36.7 million in 2009.
- Following the IFRS guidance related to deferred tax assets, the Group has determined that it is prudent to reverse the deferred tax asset in full, for an amount of EUR 29.7 million and which needs to be considered as a one-off, non cash item. Therefore the net result for the second half year of fiscal year 2010 amounted to EUR -40.5 million, or EUR -0.49 per basic share. This compares with a net result of EUR -36.9 million, or EUR -0.87 per basic share in the second half year of 2009.
- During the second half of 2010, the Company signed a software and license agreement with Huawei to license Option's connection manager software, for which the first year of the license the Group received EUR 27 million.
Financial Highlights of the full fiscal year result 2010
- Total revenues for the full year 2010 were EUR 57.7 million, a decrease of 60.7% compared with EUR 147.1 million revenues realized during the comparable period in 2009.
- Gross margin for the full year was EUR 15 million compared with EUR 27.2 million in 2009. Gross margin year to date in 2010 was 26.1%, compared with a gross margin of 18.5% in 2009. The 2010 gross margin was positively impacted by increased software revenues, delivering higher margins compared to revenues generated by devices.
Compared to the full year 2009, total operating expenses decreased with EUR 33.7 million from EUR 81.5 million to EUR 47.8 million. The reduced expenses are the result of the restructuring exercises initiated in 2009, combined with lower sales related costs as well as effective cost control within the Group.
- EBIT was EUR -31.9 million or -55.2% on total revenues during the full year 2010, compared with and EBIT of EUR -54.3 million or -36.9% on total revenues in 2009.
- The 2010 net result was EUR -32.7 million excluding the negative deferred tax impact and EUR -61 million including, or EUR -0.74 per basic share. This compares with a net result of EUR -53.7 million, or EUR -1.27 per basic share in 2009.
- The Group's balance sheet includes EUR 30.9 million in cash, including EUR 4.8 million which has been drawn from the existing credit lines. The cash and cash equivalents increased during the fourth quarter of 2010 as a result of cash received with respect to Option's license deal with Huawei (EUR 27 million) and the successful sale of the Group's subsidiary M4S to Huawei (EUR 7.1 million). The trade and other receivable position decreased to EUR 7.3 million and the inventory levels to EUR 12.4 million compared to year end 2009. The intangible assets decreased to EUR 8.6 million, mainly due to impairments of EUR 6.1 million in the first half of 2010 and the impact on the sale of the subsidiary M4S. The trade and other payable position increased to EUR 52.8 million. This is the result of an increase of deferred revenues from recent license deals (EUR + 22 million) and a decrease of trade payables (EUR -10.9 million). The deferred tax asset was reversed in full.
Option, the wireless technology company, is a leading innovator in the design, development and manufacture of 3G HSUPA, HSDPA, UMTS, EDGE, and WLAN technology products for wireless connectivity solutions. Option has built up an enviable reputation for creating exciting products that enhance the performance and functionality of wireless communications. Option's headquarters are in Belgium (Leuven). The company has Research & Development in Belgium (Leuven) and Germany (Augsburg), and an ISO 9001 production engineering and logistics facility in Ireland (Cork). Option also has offices in Europe, US, Greater China, Japan and Australia. For more information please visit our website www.option.com.
Copyright ©2011 OPTION. All rights reserved. All product and company names herein may be (registered) trademarks or trade names.