NDS at IBC 2010: Maximising Opportunities for the Pay TV Industry
- Highlighting proven solutions that enable operators to maximise new opportunities such as over-the-top content delivery, and address the potential of the connected home environment
- Illustrating innovative approaches to the user experience; enhanced functionality, improved design and usability in the user interface
- Showcasing customer deployments; including the first application of NDS Snowflake™, the advanced User Interface on a customer platform
- Proving the concepts, with next generation technological solutions that address the expanding nature of the digital pay-TV market
At this year’s IBC in Amsterdam, NDS the leading provider of technology solutions for digital pay-TV, will continue to demonstrate its market leadership by presenting a range of products and solutions designed to enable pay-TV operators to maximise the opportunities offered by new distribution models and expanding markets. The company will demonstrate how its technology makes it possible for today’s operators to deliver content and services in ways that compliment traditional TV distribution and deliver an enhanced viewing experience for the end user.
As the digital pay-TV market expands, with new business models based on over-the-top (OTT) content delivery and the increased adoption of connected, content-ready devices both in and out of the home, NDS demonstrates how its solutions can help operators not only improve the experience for existing subscribers, but also engage new customers.
Commenting on NDS’ focus at IBC 2010, Dr Abe Peled, NDS Chairman and CEO said: “Whilst we continue to believe that the killer application of digital TV is compelling content, and that digital television offers greater choice, quality and convenience for consumers, we also believe that the technological advances in broadband enabled devices provide our customers with the opportunity to offer consumers additional ways to enjoy their favourite programmes.” He adds “We provide the technologies that enable operators to expand viewing opportunities in the home to PC’s, connected TV’s, and devices such as tablets, mobile devices and laptops on the go, with additional access to richer metadata about the programmes, and new ways to monetize their advertising infrastructure - allowing them to truly maximise on new opportunities.”
Building on the well-established position of pay-TV operators as the central source of entertainment in the home, NDS will show how it enables its customers to extend their reach across platforms as a way to derive value from the converging TV landscape. Through themed technology demonstrations and insight into customer deployments, NDS will showcase its expertise across the pay-TV value chain and reinforce the company’s position as a pioneer of new digital-TV opportunity.
At IBC 2010 NDS will be exhibiting in Hall 1, on Stand 1.A71 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (September 10th to 14th 2010).
Driving new opportunities for pay-TV operators:
At IBC, NDS will highlight ways in which it enables its customers to optimise on the significant opportunities offered through OTT delivery and the connected environment. As part of this overarching focus, NDS will highlight its capabilities in four key areas of expertise:
1. Enhancing platforms with OTT
From the launch of a fully integrated OTT offering that enables content portability across multiple devices in the home, to the introduction of a VOD catalogue on a hybrid platform, NDS will profile specific OTT technology expertise including:
The InfiniteTV™ suite of technologies which enable the delivery and optimisation of OTT content on any device whilst enhancing the value proposition for all members of the value chain – incorporating efficient delivery and intelligent advertising models.
- NDS PC Show™, an end-to-end solution to incorporate a web portal with on-demand and linear TV channels on the PC through an operator branded portal.
- NDS Video on Demand with Progressive Download (PDL), which enables the delivery of both SD and HD content over IP to the set-top box, whilst managing the problems associated with low bandwidth connections.
- NDS Unified Headend™, the award winning platform that enables operators to securely and seamlessly deliver content and services to multiple screens, providing a manageable and cost effective solution in a multiplatform environment.
2. Innovation in the User Interface
With the growing convergence of content sources, the user interface has never been more important. At IBC the NDS User Interface (UI) demonstrations focus on three key aspects; functionality, usability and design:
- NDS Oona™ is the conceptual UI from NDS that incorporates contextualised widgets, social interaction together with search and recommendations to address the functional complexities of the connected environment.
- 3D-TV – NDS addresses usability issues in 3D, including the display of the EPG and subtitling on stereoscopic 3D content, NDS will showcase a research based approach that addresses the real challenges of having 3DTV in the home.
- NDS Snowflake™, the multi-award winning UI designed and developed by NDS Studio Design to demonstrate a fully ergonomic model for content navigation, will be exclusively demonstrated on a new customer platform that is to be announced at the show. Visitors to the NDS stand will also be able to experience the latest version of the UI, NDS Snowflake 2011.
3. Enabling the experience
Powering cable, satellite, terrestrial and IPTV deployments, as well as hybrid networks and multi-screen convergence environments NDS MediaHighway® set-top box software and VideoGuard® conditional access technologies enable operators to securely engage and maintain viewer interest with exciting new digital pay-TV services, the key to growing ARPU and reducing churn. As the enabling technology for over 143 million active devices, MediaHighway lays the foundations for next generation technologies that enhance the user’s experience, a selection of which will be on display at IBC, including:
- Home networking solutions that enable the portability of content in and around the home.
- An application that turns the iPhone into a set-top box remote control, with a depth of additional content and services.
- Video-conferencing using a set-top box, powered by NDS MediaHighway, providing the framework for a number of advanced TV services that enrich the experience for the end user.
4. Advanced advertising
NDS Dynamic™ advanced advertising solutions enable TV operators to manage, deliver and execute advanced, addressable campaigns to improve their existing advertising sales and develop new revenue streams. At IBC 2010 NDS will also be demonstrating strategic developments with BlackArrow, one of the leading providers of advanced advertising solutions for New Television platforms.
NDS speaking opportunities at IBC 2010:
- Dr. Abe Peled, Chairman and CEO, NDS, Session keynote: “How to Protect your Premium Content in the Connected Era”, Friday 10th September, 1:00pm.
- Dr. Kevin Murray, Systems Engineer, NDS: “Does size matter: the challenges when scaling stereoscopic 3D content” Saturday 11th September, 2:00pm & 4:00pm.