NDS and TND introduce Set-Top-Box Audience Measurement Solution to track individual viewers
- NDS and TNS audience measurement solution can now associate pay-TV set-top box (STB) return path data (RPD) with individuals in a household
- The RPD individual (RPDi) solution uses NDS Dynamic™ and TNS RaPiDView to deliver viewer behaviour analysis at the individual level
- The service measures audience viewing in those homes that have agreed to participate through an opt-in process
NDS, the leading provider of technology solutions for digital pay-TV and TNS Media Research (TNS), a global leader in TV, radio and internet audience measurement, today announced an enhancement to their joint TV audience measurement offering, adding the ability to identify individual viewers in homes that have agreed to participate on ameasurement panel.
The RPDi solution, based on the NDS Dynamic audience measurement system and TNS’s RaPiDView analysis service, will help TV operators better understand audience behaviour by collecting and analysing data about individual viewers as well as information at the household level.
NDS will demonstrate the RPDi solution for the first time at IBC 09. An easy-to-use application prompts viewers to identify themselves by their first name using their remote control and allows users to add any additional guests watching TV alongside them. The service only measures audience viewing in those homes that have agreed to participate through an opt-in process.
“Operators are turning to STB measurement because it allows them to truly understand the behaviours of their subscribers, providing rich data not available from traditional measurement methods. This includes niche channel viewing, time-shifted TV and interactive usage. To date this has mostly been reported on a household level but with RPDi customers can have the best of both worlds: rich STB data and strong individual level reporting to improve their business decisions and advertising sales,” said Gideon Gilboa, NDS product marketing manager for Advertising Solutions.
”RPD is becoming a standard tool among TV operators in developed markets for driving strategic decisions related to their business. Enriching this tool with individual viewing data adds key information on audience demographics and composition. RPDi is a cost-effective way to bring this functionality to the STB,” said Nick Burfitt, global head of RPD at TNS Media Research.
NDS and TNS announced their partnership to create and market an end-to-end STB audience measurement solution for digital TV operators at IBC 2008. Joint customers include BSkyB, DIRECTV, Sky Television in New Zealand and FOXTEL.
In addition to audience measurement, the NDS Dynamic suite comprises two additional solutions:
- Addressable Advertising – this solution replaces broadcast ads with addressable ones based on household or audience profiles, location and other factors. Operators can continue to sell ads based on the same terms and demographic data as available previously, but with the new powerful ability to segment the audience for every spot. With NDS Dynamic, advertisers and operators can generate more advertising revenues by communicating with new targeted audiences. Furthermore, audiences can benefit from seeing more ads that are relevant to them.
- Interactive Advertising – this capability offers viewers the ability to interact with ads in various formats. These include telescopic ads that allow linking with longer format content; EPG ads that link to advertorial content; dedicated advertiser location ads that allow access to a product mini-site; and request for information ads that allow viewers to contact advertisers for more information or samples.
About TNS Media Research
TNS Media Research provides internet, TV, and radio audience measurement worldwide. The expertise and technology of this international operation supports audience services in over 30 countries, including China, Russia, Spain, the UK and the US. TNS is at the forefront of the latest techniques in digital audience measurement, involving set-top box Return Path Data through its RaPiD View services. TNS is part of Kantar, the world’s largest research, insight and consultancy network.
NDS Group Ltd.
NDS Group Ltd. creates the technologies and applications that enable pay-TV operators to securely deliver digital content to TV STBs (set-top boxes), DVRs (digital video recorders), PCs, mobiles and other multimedia devices. Over 90 of the world’s leading pay-TV platforms rely on NDS solutions to protect and enhance their business.
NDS’ VideoGuard® is the world’s market-leading content and service protection solution, deployed in 114 million pay-TV households. VideoGuard conditional access (CA) and digital rights management (DRM) technologies safeguard pay-TV service revenues exceeding $50 billion. NDS middleware, which enables a host of advanced services for subscribers, has been deployed on 206 million devices. NDS DVR technology, centred around XTV™, is a leader in the global industry with 45 million units deployed. (Deployment figures as of 30th September 2011).
Headquartered in the UK, with over 5000 employees, NDS remains committed to investing in technology and development with over 75% of its employees dedicated to pioneering work at development centres in France, India, Israel, Korea, UK and US.
NDS Group Ltd. is a private company owned by the Permira Funds and News Corporation. See www.nds.com for more information
Click here for the NDS RSS feed: feed43.com/nds_press_releases.xml
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/nds_group