CompactPCI Serial reaches out into Space
The goal of the new technical PICMG sub-committee “CompactPCI Serial Space” (cPCI Serial Space) was to extend the current CompactPCI Serial specification by a sub-standard covering the specific requirements for space applications.
The two main changes in the extension of the CompactPCI Serial specification are the definition of a dual star architecture for increased availability, and allowing the integration of different communication protocols common in space applications for both – the dual-star and the full-mesh network (which was formerly restricted to Ethernet only).
The result is a parallel and flexible usage of the full-mesh Ethernet network via the backplane, as well as the dual-star architecture via PCI-Express or any other protocol like SpaceWire, TTEthernet, EtherSpace etc…, of both the CPU card and all peripheral cards.
Manfred Schmitz, CEO and founder of MEN Mikro Elektronik, who was already significantly involved in the development of the CompactPCI Serial standard, was acting as a close technical adviser to the group. “CompactPCI Serial Space is the consequent path to implement high-tech solutions for a highly sophisticated market while re-using and evolving proven industrial technology, reaching significant cost reductions in parallel compared to existing solutions”, he states.
Jess Isquith, President of PICMG, adds: “CompactPCI Serial Space guarantees the interoperability of different boards from different suppliers, and helps re-use solutions from mission to mission. Its open integration of different protocols makes it also suitable for many more applications – not just in space.”
MEN Mikro Elektronik – Profile and Mission
“Reliable Embedded Computing for a World in Motion.”
Since its founding in 1982, MEN Mikro Elektronik has focused on innovation, reliability and flexibility to develop and produce standard and custom computing solutions that employ the highest technology levels. The company - with approx. 300 employees worldwide - provides a robust offering of highly reliable embedded COTS boards and devices widely used in extreme environmental conditions found in mobile, industrial and safety-critical applications.
- Safe computers and systems certifiable up to SIL 4 and DAL-A
- Robust built-to-order box PCs
- Panel PCs for HMIs and digital signage
- Pre-configured built-to-order 19” systems
- Rugged CompactPCI boards and systems
- Network components in compact box format or 40 HP format
- Robust computer-on-modules for individual system designs
The company’s core competencies encompass x86 and RISC processor architectures, development rules for safe applications, analog I/O design, FPGA technology and Windows, Linux and real-time operating systems. Additional expertise includes RAMS and obsolescence management as well as the development of computing hardware for operation in harsh and extreme environmental conditions. Development, production and on-site testing laboratories guarantee traceability and high-quality products.
MEN Mikro Elektronik's computer solutions are used in harsh mission- and safety-critical environments found in the rail and public transport markets and the embedded electronics markets (automation, aerospace, power & energy, off-road, medical, marine and other industries).
The company is certified to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 (environment), EN 9100 (aerospace) and IRIS (railway) quality management systems, provides systems according to ISO 7637-2 (road traffic) requirements and is a member of several industry associations, consortiums and alliances, including VITA and PICMG.
MEN Mikro Elektronik is a member of:
- AMD Fusion Partner Program
- ARINC (Aeronautical Radio Incorporated)
- BavAIRia (Cluster for innovative aerospace technology in Bavaria)
- CNA (Center for Transportation & Logistics Neuer Adler e.V.)
- NXP Design Alliance
- Intel® IoT Solutions Alliance
- Open Source Automation Development Lab (OSADL)
- PCI-SIG (Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group)
- PICMG (PCI Industrial Computer Manufacturers Group)
- USB-IF (Universal Serial Bus Implementers Forum, Inc.)
- VITA (VMEbus International Trade Association)
- Wind River Partner Eco System