Juniper Networks Reports Record Preliminary Fourth Quarter And Fiscal Year 2010 Financial Results
- Q4 Financial Highlights
- Revenue: $1.190 billion, up 26% from Q4'09 and up 18% from Q3'10
- Operating Margin: 19.1% GAAP; 24.5% non-GAAP
- GAAP Net Income Per Share: $0.35 diluted
- Non-GAAP Net Income Per Share: $0.42 diluted, up 31% from Q4'09 and Q3'10 (including approximately $0.03 per share favorable impact due to the extension of R&D tax credit)
2010 Financial Highlights
- Revenue: $4.093 billion, up 23% from 2009
- Operating Margin: 18.8% GAAP; 24.0% non-GAAP
- GAAP Net Income Per Share: $1.15 diluted
- Non-GAAP Net Income Per Share: $1.32 diluted, up 43% from 2009
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) today reported preliminary financial results for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2010, and provided its outlook for the three months ending March 31, 2011. Juniper's fourth quarter and full year 2010 results reflect record performance by the company as measured by non-GAAP net income and revenues.
Net revenues for the fourth quarter of 2010 increased 26% on a year-over-year basis and increased 18% sequentially, to $1.190 billion. For the year ended December 31, 2010, Juniper's revenue increased 23% on a year-over-year basis to $4.093 billion.
The Company posted GAAP net income of $190.2 million, or $0.35 per diluted share, and non-GAAP net income of $228.6 million, or $0.42 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2010. Included in both the GAAP and non-GAAP net income per share is approximately $0.03 per share favorable impact due to the extension of R&D tax credit.
Non-GAAP net income per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2010 increased 31% on a year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter basis. For the year ended December 31, 2010, GAAP net income was $618.4 million, or $1.15 per diluted share, and non-GAAP net income was $710.5 million, or $1.32 per diluted share.
Non-GAAP net income per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2010, increased 43% on a year-over-year basis. The reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP results of operations is provided in a table immediately following the Net Revenues by Market table below.
"Juniper produced outstanding results in 2010, the first year of a multi-year growth strategy centered on mobile Internet and cloud computing trends," said Kevin Johnson, Juniper's chief executive officer. "2011 is an important next step as we prepare to introduce innovative new products that continue to deliver on the promise of the new network."
Juniper's operating margin for the fourth quarter of 2010 increased to 19.1% on a GAAP basis, up from 0.6% in the same quarter a year ago. Non-GAAP operating margin for the fourth quarter of 2010 increased slightly to 24.5% from 24.4% in the same quarter a year ago. For the fiscal year 2010, Juniper's operating margin increased to 18.8% on a GAAP basis from 9.4% for the prior fiscal year. Non-GAAP operating margin for the fiscal year 2010 increased to 24.0% from 20.2% in the fiscal year 2009.
Juniper generated net cash from operations for the fourth quarter of 2010 of $371.0 million, compared to net cash provided by operations of $259.6 million for the same quarter of 2009. For the year ended December 31, 2010, Juniper generated net cash from operations of $812.3 million, compared to $796.1 million in 2009.
Capital expenditures as well as depreciation and amortization expense during the fourth quarter of 2010 were $47.8 million and $42.9 million, respectively. Capital expenditures as well as depreciation and amortization expense during the 2010 fiscal year were $185.3 million and $155.3 million, respectively.
"Juniper capped 2010 with a strong revenue and profit performance in the fourth quarter. The company executed well on the operating principles it set forth for the year, and we are showing strong returns on the investments we began making in 2009 in our innovation roadmap and the expansion of our routes to market," said Robyn Denholm, Juniper's chief financial officer. "We are focused on further enhancing our performance in 2011 by driving sustained, strong growth, improving margins, and leveraging our strong balance sheet."
- Juniper estimates revenue for the first quarter ending March 31, 2011 to be in the range of $1.06 billion to $1.11 billion, which equates to approximately 19% growth year-over-year at the mid-point of the range.
- Juniper estimates that its non-GAAP gross margin will remain in its targeted range of between 66% and 68% in the first quarter.
- Juniper estimates that its non-GAAP operating expenses will be higher as a percent of revenue but approximately flat with the prior quarter on a dollar basis. As a result, Juniper expects its non-GAAP operating margin for the first quarter will be 22.0%, plus or minus 0.5%.
- Juniper estimates that its non-GAAP net income per share will range between $0.30 and $0.33 on a diluted basis, assuming a flat share count and estimated non-GAAP tax rate of 28.5%. The non-GAAP EPS estimate includes the impact of recent acquisitions of approximately $0.02 per share.
All forward-looking non-GAAP measures exclude estimates for amortization of intangible assets, stock-based compensation expenses, acquisition related charges, restructuring charges, litigation settlement charges, gain or loss on equity investments, non-recurring income tax adjustments, valuation allowance on deferred tax assets, and income tax effect of non-GAAP exclusions. A reconciliation of non-GAAP guidance measures to corresponding GAAP measures is not available on a forward-looking basis.
Conference Call Web Cast
Juniper Networks will host a conference call web cast today, January 25, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. (Pacific Time), to be broadcast live over the Internet at: http://www.juniper.net/....
To participate via telephone, in the U.S. the toll free dial-in number is 877-407-8033; outside of the U.S. dial +1-201-689-8033. Please call ten minutes prior to the scheduled conference call time. The webcast replay of the conference call will be archived on the Juniper Networks website until April 14, 2011.
Juniper Networks GmbH
From devices to data centers, from consumers to the cloud, Juniper Networks delivers innovative software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net).
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.