Worldwide Enterprise Videoconferencing and Telepresence Equipment Market Showed Mixed Results in Third Quarter, According to IDC
Worldwide market revenue increased 9.6% quarter over quarter, but declined -7.7% year over year in the third quarter of 2014
From a market segment perspective:
- Multi-codec telepresence equipment revenue ($34 million) was up 15.1% quarter over quarter, but down -15.8% year over year.
- Room-based video system revenue ($347 million) increased 11.3% quarter over quarter and 0.6% year over year.
- Personal videoconferencing systems revenue ($35 million) - including executive desktop systems - increased 4.2% quarter over quarter, but declined significantly year over year (-23.1%).
- Video infrastructure equipment revenue ($113 million) - including MCUs and other video-related infrastructure - increased 4.7% quarter over quarter, but declined -20.4% year over year.
"Some good news is that the worldwide videoconferencing equipment market enjoyed positive quarter-over-quarter revenue growth across all its major market segments in 3Q14, although year-over-year revenue growth was mostly down, with a few exceptions," said Rich Costello, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Communications Infrastructure, at IDC. "The video equipment market results are reflective of the ongoing market transition from a primarily hardware-based reporting model to one impacted by the growing interest in more software-based solutions and video subscription services."
Key Vendor Updates:
- Cisco's 3Q14 results showed an 18.3% revenue increase over the second quarter, but a -14.9% year-over-year decline. Cisco remained the leader in enterprise videoconferencing equipment with a 41.4% share of the worldwide market.
- Polycom's revenue decreased -2.2% quarter over quarter, but increased 3.3% year over year in 3Q14. Polycom ranked second in enterprise videoconferencing equipment with a 26.9% share of the worldwide market.
- Huawei's quarter-over-quarter revenue increased 29.6%, but decreased slightly (-1.7%) year over year in 3Q14. Huawei ranked third with a 10.8% share of the worldwide enterprise videoconferencing market.
IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Videoconferencing and Telepresence Qview provides total market size and vendor share data in an easy-to-use Excel Pivot Table format. The overall market is segmented by product type [Immersive Telepresence, Telepresence (Room-based), Personal Videoconferencing, Video MCU and Other]; form factor (Endpoint, Infrastructure); and screen definition (High Definition, Standard Definition). Measurement for the enterprise videoconferencing and telepresence market is provided in factory revenue and unit shipments.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Videoconferencing and Telepresence Qview, please contact Kathy Nagamine (firstname.lastname@example.org).
IDC Central Europe GmbH
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.