"The business value for smartphone/tablet printing is enormously clear, and yet support for this is shockingly lacking in 2015. This is a huge missed productivity opportunity for both businesses and print providers," said Angèle Boyd, Group Vice President and General Manager, IDC Document Solutions.
A whopping 75% of users say the business value is similar to PC printing, and another 15% say it's actually greater. The top four benefits mentioned by 32-57% of respondents were speed of reviewing documents, customer satisfaction, the number of transactions processed, and the number of new customers brought on board. Only 56% of users are satisfied. While smartphone and tablet adoption rates continue to grow and the capabilities are available, the pent-up demand for smartphone and/or tablet users is significant. Thirty-five percent of smartphone users and 34% of tablet users cannot print and want to.
Additional findings from IDC's research include the following:
- Smartphone and tablet users prefer to read documents on a PC rather than in print, but they prefer to read documents in print rather than on a smartphone or tablet (likely due to screen size). Indeed, they have a greater tendency to print from their PC than non-users.
- Survey respondents expect their share of prints from smartphones and tablets to increase from 20-21% today to 28-30% in three years.
- IDC's mobile print forecast for the six countries is a huge bright spot with double-digit growth compared to flat to declining growth for the rest of the print market.
- Cloud file services and smartphone/tablet camera use have the highest usage rates amongst document solutions tested.
- Top scan drivers in the study include the company is scanning more documents, cost to store electronically is lower than print cost, security related to documents, green/sustainable environment, smartphone information access anywhere/anytime, and tablet information access anywhere/anytime.
- Smartphone and/or tablet users make significant use of the camera on their device for document capture.
- Smartphone/tablet users are more likely than non-users to scan a wide range of document types, especially accounting, financial, legal, education, marketing/customer communications, and sales documents.
To order this research, please contact your IDC sales representative, or IDC Sales at 508-988-7988 or firstname.lastname@example.org