ITAM is an operational practice that traditionally has been focused on improving operational cost effectiveness through disciplined portfolio, contract, and device management. However, IDC believes it is time to rethink the role and contribution of ITAM within overall IT governance and effectiveness. The world-class enterprise that is the subject of this IDC Buyer Case Study carries significant responsibility for a wide range of critical and sensitive processes and assets. By prioritizing implementation of the ITAM process and toolset, this enterprise has benefitted greatly from the ease in understanding business impact when IT is able to tie a security breach to a specific business process versus its sole impact on IT infrastructure.
Other benefits and results include:
- Increased accountability and improved perception of IT due to high accuracy of asset data
- Significant reduction in obsolete technologies in favor of newer alternatives
- Empowered users who receive timely responses to questions asked "on the fly"
- Reports based on current asset data delivered daily and weekly
- Support for financial planning for fact-based software and hardware procurement
- Categorization of software to avoid redundancies and unnecessary duplication
- Enterprise users seek out project team for assistance with business issues
For additional information or to arrange a one-on-one briefing with Bill Keyworth, please contact Sarah Murray at 781-378-2674 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Reports are available to qualified members of the media. For information on purchasing reports, contact email@example.com; reporters should email firstname.lastname@example.org.