- 56% of European IT departments cannot find qualified staff to effectively support cloud projects.
- 61% are struggling to upskill their employees to effectively evaluate, negotiate contracts with, and manage relationships with cloud service providers.
- 70% still need to learn how to make effective use of automation, self-service, and orchestration tools.
"The use of cloud computing as an increasingly business-critical technology is quickly changing how companies and institutions evaluate, procure, and deploy IT assets," said Carla Arend, program director of IDC's Cloud Practice. "However, the effective use of automation, self-service, and orchestration tools remains the biggest challenge for IT organizations, while accurately defining costs and implementing chargeback models is a struggle in the business and IT relationship. The transition to cloud computing requires change throughout the organization - in people, process, and technology."
"Spending on cloud services and building blocks for cloud environments has seen strong 25% growth in Europe over the past 12 months, but the push from service providers might start running out of steam in the coming years if IT buyers and line-of-business owners are not assessed in their cloud maturity level and then helped to systematically tackle hurdles to adoption," said Giorgio Nebuloni, research manager, IDC's Cloud Practice.
- IT organizations see themselves as service providers focused on business priorities. Almost half of the respondents have achieved this change in mindset, where IT departments have embraced the IT-as-a-service approach and are ready to negotiate service levels and serve their business users like a service provider. Only 5% of respondents do not have this major transformation as an area of focus.
- Return on investment remains difficult to prove. Only around a third of European organizations are able to build a comprehensive business case for their cloud projects. Understanding all the implications, costs, and benefits of a transformational process like implementing cloud computing is tough, but without creating solid business cases it is hard to demonstrate the ultimate success of cloud projects.
- Ability to use cloud to drive business innovation and competitive advantage. 41% use cloud to gain a business advantage, leaving 59% of European organizations not able to take cloud projects beyond the level of IT infrastructure projects. The real benefits of cloud projects will only be realized if they are used to drive business innovation and competitive advantage.