80992 München, de
+49 (89) 14005-278
Epson launches new ultra-low power 16-bit flash microcontroller S1C17W18
Features 352 segment display, built-in 128kB flash memory
Microcontrollers from Epson`s S1C17W00 series can operate on a small, low-capacity button battery and can be connected to a variety of sensors making them ideal for mobile applications. There is a growing demand for flash memory microcontrollers like S1C17W18 offering larger flash memory because new products are requiring more and better features like higher display resolutions and finally also a bigger application software. Target applications for the new 16-bit microcontroller are high-performance watches, remote controls, healthcare devices, security tokens* or any other small portable electronic devices.
The S1C17W18 offer some significant new features compared to its predecessor model type – Epson`s S1C17W15 flash microcontroller. Flash memory size and RAM size are double compared with S1C17W15 and LCD driver capability up to 352 segments is around 1.4 times more than LCD driver capability of S1C17W15. Beside that S1C17W18 consumes 40% less current in RUN mode – means just 150µA/MHz – while keeping with 0.15µA same current consumption in SLEEP mode.
To achieve this low current consumption in RUN mode Epson developed a new flash memory. The memory can be rewritten on a single 3V power supply and Epson guarantees 1.000 rewrite cycles. Built-in oscillator circuits can output seven different frequencies, eliminating the need for external oscillators which reduces total part counts and costs and saving board space.
Epson is committed to help its customers improving the performance of their products with solutions that leverage Epson`s core technologies to be more compact, saving energy and offering outstanding precision.
* A device that generates a one-time password for security purposes
Key features of S1C17W18:
1. Low voltage and ultra low-power consumption for significant longer battery lifetime
- Low voltage operation guaranteed from 1.2V to 3.6V
- Ultra low power consumption in RUN mode: 150µA/MHz
2. Interfaces for connecting a variety of sensors
- R/F converter : 24-bit counter, DC/AC drive switch, 2ch for temperature and humidity measurement
- Serial interfaces, SPI, UART and I²C
- Universal port multiplexers  increasing board layout design flexibility
3. Embedded circuits that help customers to reduce product part counts, saving costs and board space and minimize software development times
- Integrated LCD driver supporting up to 352 segments
- Two types of embedded oscillator circuits (a 700kHz fixed-frequency circuit and a circuit switchable between 250kHz, 384kHz, 500kHz, 1MHz, 2MHz and 4MHz)
- A temperature sensor circuit that is capable of standalone temperature measurement
- 12-bit ADC ,
- Sound generator
- Supply voltage detection circuit of 30 levels from 1.2V-3.6V that does not require an external power supply supervisor
- IR remote controller capable of infrared remote control output 
 A circuit that converts resistance changes into frequency
 A circuit that allow user flexible I/O function assignment of peripheral circuits to I/O ports
 A circuit that converts analog signals to digital signals
 A control circuit for infrared remote control
 In Super Economy mode
 An oscillator that uses capacitors and resistors to generate frequency
For documentation and further details about the S1C17W18, please see the following link:
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an email@example.com.