Epson launches first product S1C17W22 from its new ultra-low power 16-bit Flash microcontroller family
Ideal for low-capacity battery driven applications
Recently, there is a growing demand for flash memory microcontrollers with ultra-low power consumption for applications like high-performance watches, remote controls, health care devices, security tokens or small portable electronic devices that are powered by coin cell batteries. Also functions for those applications where measuring temperature, humidity and step counting is requested are increasing to achieve higher performance and create add on values for customers. In order to achieve higher performance and more vivid images, the S1C17W22 features a 1344-dot matrix LCD driver and offers a built-in 64kB flash ROM to store display data. Beside that the new 16-bit microcontroller family can still operate at 1.2V and offers an integrated hardware Real-Time Clock (RTC) to reduce software and hardware development. By incorporating these functions on a single chip, Epson has developed a microcontroller that consumes only 70 - 80% of the power used by previous configurations , making the S1C17W22 ideal for applications that run on small coin cell batteries.
To achieve such ultra-low power consumption values, S1C17W22 offers system power efficiency-boosting algorithms and more power modes than previous configurations . Standby energy consumption is just 0.15 µA at 3 V. S1C17W22 also achieves low power current of just 0.3 µA in 32 kHz halt mode and 4 µA in 32 kHz run mode  by an internal DC/DC step-down converter, which optimizes the microcontrollers internal operating voltage.
Special features of S1C17W22
1. Low voltage and ultra-low-power consumption for longer battery lifetime
- Low voltage operation guaranteed from 1.2V to 3.6V
- Ultra low power consumption ◦ 0.15µA in sleep mode
◦ 0.3µA in halt mode (32.768kHz)
◦ 4µA in run mode (32.768kHz)
◦ 250µA in run mode (1 MHz)
- On-chip 64kB flash memory
- Available as bare chip and TQFP15-128 package
2. Wide range of peripherals
- Integrated LCD dot matrix driver supporting 72x8, 64x16 or 56x24
- R/F converter: 24-bit counter, DC/AC drive switch, 2ch
- Integrated Real-Time Clock: Counter for years (takes into account leap years), days of the week, dates, hours, minutes, and seconds; 1ch
- Various timer circuits
- Serial interface, UART and I²C support
- Sound generator
- Universal port multiplexers offering a greater degree of design freedom for board layout
- Switching between GPIO and segment terminal functions possible
- Supply voltage detection circuit of 30 levels from 1.2V-3.6V accurate of 2.5% (-40°C to 85°C)
- IR remote controller capable of infrared remote control output
For documentation and further details about the S1C17W22, please see the following link: http://www.epson.jp/...
For sales enquiries within Europe please contact Epson Europe Electronics GmbH: www.epson-electronics.de
 compared with previous Epson models.
 in Super Economy Mode
Epson is a global innovation leader whose product lineup ranges from inkjet printers and printing systems, 3LCD projectors and industrial robots to sensors and other microdevices. Dedicated to exceeding the vision of its customers worldwide, Epson delivers customer value based on compact, energy-saving, and high-precision technologies in markets spanning enterprise and the home to commerce and industry.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises more than 68,000 employees in 96 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates.
EPSON Europe Electronics GmbH
Epson Europe Electronics GmbH is a marketing, engineering and sales company and the European Headquarters for electronic devices of the Seiko Epson Corporation, Japan. Headquartered in Munich/Germany since 1989 with 50 employees, Epson Europe Electronics GmbH has several European sales representatives and has a European-wide network of distributors. Epson Europe Electronics provides value added services for semiconductors and quartz devices targeted to the mobile communication, automotive and home visual market. Epson products are recognised for energy saving, low power, small form factors and rapid time to market. Information about Epson Europe Electronics GmbH is available on the Internet under www.epson-electronics.de
Press releases you might also be interested in
Weitere Informationen zum Thema "Hardware":
NVMe over Fabrics-Speicherknoten für Cloud-Infrastrukturen
Die im vergangenen August von Toshiba vorgestellte „NVMe-over-Fabrics“-Software wurde auf „Kumoscale“ umbenannt. Mit der Anwendung lassen sich NVMe-SSDs zu einem Speicherpool zusammenschließen, auf den Server per Remote Direct Memory Access über das Netzwerk gemeinsam zugreifen können.Weiterlesen