48165 Münster, de
+49 (2501) 14-3747
BASF Coatings paint brand celebrates several anniversaries at once
Glasurit: From paint business to global player
The story of the Glasurit brand actually already started 120 years ago in Hamburg, where merchant Max Winkelmann opened his "business with paints and lacquers" back in 1888. He quickly began his own production of the then revolutionary new paint color crystal white and the rust preservative Eisenglasurit (Iron Glasurit). The gigantic steamer ships and the imperial yacht were refinished with Eisenglasurit, kicking off Glasurit's success story. In a matter of 10 years, the products from Winkelmann's business were so successful and so numerous, that he decided to market them under a single brand name. And that marked the birth of Glasurit. In 1898, the Glasurit brand was officially registered, and Glasurit's first symbol and logo was born: the Chinaman.
The rapidly growing fledgling company quickly reached its capacity, but the factory in Hamburg could not be expanded. In 1903, a piece of real estate near a canal, railway and road in the town of Münster-Hiltrup became the paint factory's new site - and has served as the company's home ever since. That same year, construction work for a coatings factory on the new premises was started. In 1904, the site's landmark, the water tower, was erected. It is still standing today. In 1908 the official name of the plant became "Max Winkelmann Aktien-Gesellschaft" (public limited company, "AG" for short in German). In 1920, the ethyl alcohol coatings factory went into operation. The year 1924 saw the beloved parrot, which today is recognized throughout the world, replace the Chinaman as the company logo.
The year 1925 ushered in the nitrocellulose coatings era. The "Glasso" paint factory was built, and the name became a symbol for progress and innovation. Glasso made Germany's first spray application for cars possible.
From 1930 onward, "Glasurit" was the continent's largest coatings factory, with a workforce of 1,000. In 1932, the next milestone was achieved: the production of synthetic resin paints and enamel coatings. The products were marketed under the "Glassomax" name, which later adorned a number of factories. In 1938, Glassomax I, with an area of over 4,000 square meters, was the first factory to open.
The Second World War brought a great deal of suffering and damage to the residents of Hiltrup and "their Glasurit." The laboratory, warehouse and production facilities were destroyed. But not long after the end of the war, the company started over again and growth continued. In 1949, the new resin laboratory was built. The launch of metallic coating in 1962 was a genuine milestone. In 1965, e-coating was developed. That same year, the Max Winkelmann GmbH became a subsidiary of BASF Aktiengesellschaft, Ludwigshafen.
In 1972, the company was renamed BASF Farben + Fasern AG and Glassomax IV was built. Other important steps were the construction of the new resin factory in 1979 and the building of Glassomax V in 1985. In 1986 the company was called BASF Lacke und Farben. In 1992, waterborne refinishing products were introduced. The company was given the name BASF Coatings AG in 1997. The year 2003 marked the 100th anniversary of the founding of the site. The state-of-the-art distribution center was built in 2004. In summer 2003, the new Color Design Studio Europe, the first of its kind for the coatings industry in Europe, was opened in the former "Villa Kaven" located directly at the production plant.
There's no question: BASF Coatings and its Glasurit brand have been true global players for many decades and are among the leaders throughout the world.
Glasurit Automotive Refinish
Under the Glasurit brand, BASF markets a comprehensive range of automotive refinishing paint systems, focusing on eco-efficient waterborne basecoats and high-solids paints. By using these systems all legal solvent-reduction requirements can be complied with anywhere in the world, and with regard to appearance and resistance, the products meet the same quality standards as solvent-borne paints. In this area too, the company offers a wide variety of services to support its customers. Glasurit® Automotive Refinish is approved by most of the leading car manufacturers for after-market repairs and is preferred by the world's most prestigious car companies for its color expertise. Web: www.glasurit.com
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an firstname.lastname@example.org.