Tobelbader Strasse 30
8141 Premstaetten, at
+43 (3136) 500-31200
ams acquires advanced CMOS sensor business from NXP
New monolithic and integrated CMOS environmental sensors drive signif-icant opportunities in smart phones, wearables, smart homes, industrial, medical and automotive markets
“Environmental sensors can replicate and enhance human responses by monitoring and measuring smell, pressure and temperature. By capturing this information electronically, data-driven decisions can be made automatically and efficiently,” said Thomas Riener, Executive Vice President, Market-ing & Strategy at ams. “The acquisition of NXP’s CMOS Sensor Business expands our existing environmental sensor technologies and is a synergistic addition to our chemical sensor capabilities and smart lighting solutions. This portfolio makes ams the one-stop shop for environmental sen-sors.”
The newly enlarged line of ams environmental sensors is anticipated to drive high-value growth opportunities for smart phones, wearables, and other mobile devices as well as for smart buildings and the industrial, medical and automotive markets. The cost-effective smart sensor systems will combine intelligence, wired and wireless interfaces, and advanced power management to increase human comfort, reduce energy costs, and provide additional safety and security. Particular attrib-utes of the new sensors include the following:
• Minimum size, leveraging on chip-scale package (CSP) technology
• Greatly reduced package complexity and cost
• Very low power consumption
• Best-in-class analog front ends
• Outstanding performance and accuracy
• Easy integration with other sensors
Specially developed sensor fusion software allows information from multiple sources within the environment to be combined and creates context awareness for delivering information to users.
Sample applications include the following:
• Mobile devices/Wearables: Sensors are expected to allow for the detection of air quality or breath alcohol levels, and can provide weather alarms. Sensors will also be able to offer humidity compensation for gas sensing and allow for comfort awareness and indoor navi-gation.
• In Home and Building Automation, distributed Relative Humidity (RH) and temperature sen-sors in combination with Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) sensors will be able to accu-rately monitor the indoor climate and air quality, which will contribute to a more efficient use of the air conditioning and ventilation systems. VOC and RH sensors can be used in the distribution chain of perishable goods such as food to monitor the quality during transpor-tation and storage. RH and T sensors can also assist in improving the drying process of ink-jet printers by sensing humidity levels in the air and within the paper, and can assist in improving print quality for toner-based printers by sensing RH in the toner.
• Automotive: Sensors will be able to test interior humidity and air quality, then instruct the vehicle to make changes in airflow such as defogging the windshield or turning on the air conditioning.
The new additions to the environmental sensor product portfolio are available for customer sam-pling now. Temperature and relative humidity sensor solutions will be in mass production early in 2016.
For further information:
Head of Marketing Communications
T +43 (0) 3136 500 31200
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an email@example.com.