AMD Announces New Unified SDK, Tools and Accelerated Libraries for Heterogeneous Computing Developers
APU13 serves as launch platform for new developer tools and sheds light on upcoming third generation APU, "Kaveri"
"Developers are essential to our mission of realizing the full potential of modern computing technologies," said Manju Hegde, corporate vice president, Heterogeneous Solutions, AMD. "Enriching the developer experience by harnessing these technologies is a critical part of AMD's mission to accelerate developer adoption."
To achieve this common mission, AMD is announcing improvements across four fronts:
- The unified SDK includes AMD APP SDK 2.9 and is the most user-friendly heterogeneous computing SDK yet. It provides improved ease-of-use and developer productivity by adding several new capabilities. This is AMD's first step toward providing developers with simple access to all the programmable components of the company's products. Some of the salient features are: a Web-based sample browser that makes it easy to find the right samples for a project; added support for CMake - a popular make utility; improved OpenCL™ source editing with a plug-in to visual studio; and the addition of several new samples highlighting use of optimized open source libraries (OpenCV, Bolt) to get acceleration with minimal effort.
- The unified SDK also includes the Media SDK v1.0 beta release. This will be AMD's first public release of the Media SDK, which enables developers to leverage AMD's unique and differentiated multimedia capabilities. Some of the key features of the Media SDK are a GPU-accelerated video pre/post processing library and a library for low latency video encoding.
- The unified SDK also promotes new heterogeneous acceleration optimizations in several open source libraries with the goal of making it simple for developers to accelerate applications. These include: OpenCV (most popular computer vision library) now with many OpenCL accelerated functions; clMath with accelerated BLAS and FFT libraries accessible from Fortran, C and C++; and Bolt, a C++ template library providing GPU off-load for common data-parallel algorithms, now with cross-OS support as well as performance improvements and new functionality.
- The latest CodeXL tools suite (version 1.3,) AMD's comprehensive heterogeneous developer tool offering, now supports Java, the world's most popular programming language. To further AMD's efforts to provide the best integrated tool suite, AMD has incorporated static kernel analysis capabilities. Also included in this release are added support for remote debugging/profiling to enable server and embedded customers as well as support for the latest GPU products from AMD (GCN-based discrete GPUs and APUs.)
"AMD continues to deliver excellent heterogeneous programming developer tools for OpenCL™ - the industry standard for heterogeneous programming," said Bill Richard, vice president of Software Development at Winzip. "AMD's tools have been instrumental in our efforts to deliver significant application performance improvements to our customers."
These new product releases represent another step forward toward AMD's goals of supporting cross-platform solutions (across OSes and vendors,) multiple programming languages and continued contributions to the Open Source community. This is part of AMD's ongoing commitment to make heterogeneous computing pervasive and mainstream.
AMD also announced today at APU13 details about "Kaveri," the third generation performance APU from AMD, during a keynote delivered by Dr. Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, Global Business Units, AMD.
"Kaveri" is the first APU with HSA features, AMD TrueAudio technology and AMD's Mantle API combining to bring the next level of graphics, compute and efficiency to desktops (FM2+), notebooks, embedded APUs and servers. FM2+ shipments to customers are slated to begin in late 2013 with initial availability in customer desktop offerings scheduled for Jan. 14, 2014. Further details will be announced at CES 2014.
In addition to the "Kaveri" announcement, Dr. Su highlighted AMD's leadership in APU technology and heterogeneous compute capabilities, and discussed the developer-centric future of AMD technology. With graphics, gaming, performance mobile clients and embedded devices growing in prevalence, AMD is at the epicenter of this convergence, and is equipped with the necessary IP to execute on this opportunity for our customers. To enable these growing ecosystems, Dr. Su made commitments to continue supporting programming tools and platforms like Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA), Mantle, OpenCL, C++ AMP and Microsoft DirectX® that are important to application and game developers.
- Access the latest tools, SDKs and libraries
- For more details, see blogs from AMD's technical staff
- Learn how AMD is enabling server APU software
- 2013 AMD Developer Summit, APU13
- View highlights from 2012 AMD Developer Summit
- For the latest APU13 updates, follow @AMD
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
This Press Release contains forward-looking statements concerning Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (“AMD” or the “Company”) including, among other things, , the availability and features of AMD future products which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act. Forward-looking statements are commonly identified by words such as "would," "may," "expects," "believes," "plans," "intends," "projects," and other terms with similar meaning. Investors are cautioned that the forward-looking statements in this presentation are based on current beliefs, assumptions and expectations, speak only as of the date of this presentation and involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Risks include the possibility that that Intel Corporation’s pricing, marketing and rebating programs, product bundling, standard setting, new product introductions or other activities may negatively impact the Company’s plans; that the Company will require additional funding and may be unable to raise sufficient capital on favorable terms, or at all; that customers stop buying the Company’s products or materially reduce their operations or demand for its products; that the Company may be unable to develop, launch and ramp new products and technologies in the volumes that are required by the market at mature yields on a timely basis; that the company’s third-party foundry suppliers will be unable to transition the Company’s products to advanced manufacturing process technologies in a timely and effective way or to manufacture the Company’s products on a timely basis in sufficient quantities and using competitive process technologies; that the Company will be unable to obtain sufficient manufacturing capacity or components to meet demand for its products or will not fully utilize the Company’s projected manufacturing capacity needs at GLOBALFOUNDRIES Inc. (GF) microprocessor manufacturing facilities; that the Company’s requirements for wafers will be less than the fixed number of wafers that we agreed to purchase from GF or GF encounters problems that significantly reduce the number of functional die the Company receives from each wafer; that the Company is unable to successfully implement its long-term business strategy; that the Company inaccurately estimates the quantity or type of products that its customers will want in the future or will ultimately end up purchasing, resulting in excess or obsolete inventory; that the Company is unable to manage the risks related to the use of its third-party distributors and add-in-board (AIB) partners or offer the appropriate incentives to focus them on the sale of the Company’s products; that the Company may be unable to maintain the level of investment in research and development that is required to remain competitive; that there may be unexpected variations in market growth and demand for the Company’s products and technologies in light of the product mix that it may have available at any particular time; that global business and economic conditions, including consumer PC market conditions, will not improve or will worsen; and the effect of political or economic instability, domestically or internationally, on our sales or supply chain. Investors are urged to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the Company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended Sept. 28, 2013.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) designs and integrates technology that powers millions of intelligent devices, including personal computers, tablets, game consoles and cloud servers that define the new era of surround computing. AMD solutions enable people everywhere to realize the full potential of their favorite devices and applications to push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
Press releases you might also be interested in
Weitere Informationen zum Thema "Hardware":
Lenovo setzt auf Künstliche Intelligenz
Auf mehr als 44 Billionen Gigabyte soll sich das weltweite Datenvolumen im Jahr 2020 belaufen. KI-Anwendungen - darunter maschinelles Lernen oder Deep Learning - sollen es möglich machen, aus diesem Informationsschatz größtmöglichen Nutzen zu ziehen. Lenovo verstärkt jetzt seine Aktivitäten in diesem Bereich und setzt damit den Hebel an, um sich im HPC-Markt vorne zu positionieren.Weiterlesen