Cross-media branding and design - XMA registration deadline approaches
IFRA XMA Cross Media Awards 2009 - extended registration deadline ends on 15 June
The IFRA XMA Cross Media Awards 2009 distinguish publishing houses with a challenging and outstanding design that communicate their brand in a clear, distinct way and through different channels (i.e. print, online and mobile).
For the first time, the IFRA XMA Awards are a co-production with the Society for News Design (SND: www.snd.org). The objective of the 4th XMA Cross Media Awards is to present the best examples of design in newspapers that combine different print and digital channels to get their brand across.
The IFRA XMA Cross Media Awards 2009 competition is sponsored by Adobe and supported by Protecmedia.
Who can take part?
Media houses with their roots in the publishing industry (newspaper or magazine) of any size that are implementing a cross-media and integrated branding strategy.
Prizes will be awarded in the following circulation categories for newspapers (daily and weekly circulations):
A: small newspapers, circulation less than 100,000 copies daily;
B: medium newspapers, circulation between 100,000 to 250,000 copies daily;
C: large newspapers, more than 250,000 copies daily.
How to take part?
Entries can be submitted online under www.ifra.com/xma where also the detailed conditions of participation can be viewed. The final date for receiving entries is 15 June 2009. A jury comprising international newspaper and media experts will evaluate the entries. Entry fees for submissions are 150 Euro (IFRA and SND members) and 250 Euro (non-members).
For further information, contact Raquel Meikle, IFRA XMA Project Team: phone +49.6151.733-927 or e-Mail email@example.com.
The jury members 2009
The following experts belong to the XMA jury in 2009:
- Francisco Amaral, Art Director, Cases i Associats, Spain;
- Sven-Olof Bodenfors, Managing Partner of the advertising agency Forsman & Bodenfors, Sweden;
- Sarah Dickenson Quinn, Poynter Institute, U.S.A.;
- Jochen Dieckow, Research Manager Emerging Digital Platforms and Business Development, IFRA, Germany;
- Cristóbal Edwards, Visual Journalism Professor at the Universidad Católica, Chile;
- Dr. Mario García, International Newspaper Designer, García Design, U.S.A.;
- Hans Peter Janisch, Zeitungs- und Kommunikationsdesign sowie International Director, Society for News Design, Germany;
- Klaus Kurz, Manager Business Development, Adobe, Germany;
- Matt Mansfield, President of the Society for News Design, U.S.A.;
- Peter Ong, Design Consultant for Newspapers and Magazines, Australia;
- Dr. Dietmar Schantin, Group Director Editorial, Advertising and General Management, IFRA, Germany;
- Michael Stoll, Professor für Medientheorie und Informationsdesign an der Hochschule Augsburg, Germany;
- Anders Tapola, Design Editor at Smålandsposten/Gota Media, Sweden.
Awards Ceremony and XMA special showing Winners of the XMA Cross Media Awards will be announced from 12 to 15 October at IFRA Expo 2009 in Vienna (www.ifraexpo.com), and presented at a XMA special showing.
A short list of the best projects will be presented before at the SND Conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from 24 to 26 September 2009.
IFRA (www.ifra.com) is the worldwide research and service organisation for the news publishing industry. With headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany, it has acted since 1961 as the platform for decision-makers from the newspaper industry. IFRA offers its services primarily to its more than 3100 members in nearly 80 countries. A Board, comprising publishers as well as central, regional and specialised committees drawn from IFRA member companies, steers the work of the international newspaper community. IFRA's research work provides the basis for this and results in standardisation projects as well as international and regional exhibitions, conferences, workshops, study tours, training events, Newsplex consulting and international competitions. The IFRA Expo - "the annual event of the news publishing industry" - held at major European venues, is the world's most important trade exhibition for newspaper companies and their partners. IFRA Expo 2009 will be held from 12 to 15 October in Vienna (www.ifraexpo.com). IFRA Magazine, the international magazine of newspaper business, strategy and technology, is published in several languages in both print and online versions (www.iframagazine.com). IFRA is also running IFRA Search, a vertical search engine for the news publishing industry (www.ifrasearch.com).