Virsto for vSphere 1.5 Optimises VM Storage for the Software-Defined Datacentre
Virsto for vSphere 1.5 now generally available / VM-level storage management and seamless integration with VMware vCentre and View Manager / Virsto's storage hypervisor provides the most efficient provisioning, management and utilisation of storage for th(PresseBox) (London UK, )
Just as the hypervisor did for servers, Virsto's storage hypervisor achieves new levels of efficiency, affordability and agility for storage in virtualised environments. Traditionally, provisioning storage in virtualised environments required a compromise: production-level performance or efficient storage capacity consumption. With its hypervisor-agnostic, 100 percent software approach, only Virsto combines performance and efficiency to fundamentally transform the economics of storage for virtual machines (VMs).
The Storage Hypervisor is the 'Missing Link' in the Software-Defined Datacentre
The concept of the software-defined datacentre (SDD) is gaining recognition, as IT moves away from infrastructure traditionally defined by hardware toward a more flexible infrastructure built around software and dynamic allocation of resources. In the SDD, all virtualised storage, server, networking and security resources required by an application can be defined by software and provisioned automatically. Virsto's VM-centric storage hypervisor is purpose built to deliver software-defined storage: the missing link for storage agility, performance and efficiency to realise more agile IT.
Introducing Virsto for vSphere 1.5
First unveiled at VMworld 2011, Virsto for vSphere offers a no-compromise approach to storage in virtual environments. Virsto enhances VMware vSphere by providing native support and unique VM-level storage management, integrating directly with existing management and provisioning workflows, which vSphere administrators are already familiar. The solution delivers value through consistent high performance storage thin provisioning, and simplified self-service bulk provisioning of VMs, all managed through a seamless integration with the vCentre management interface.
Notable features and benefits in the new version include:
- Per-VM snapshots and clones: Virsto offers high performance per-VM and per VMDK snapshot and clone support for rapid, efficient VM provisioning, and backup and recovery. The combination of high performance and extreme scalability allow Virsto's snapshots and clones to be used in ways that conventional implementations are not able to support. With Virsto, snapshots can be taken more often, kept longer, and used to meet aggressive RTO & RPO objectives--all without impacting the performance of source VMs.
- Rapid deployment wizards, including Fast Prep: Virsto integrates rapid deployment wizards into native management tools and workflows. With Virsto installed, administrators use the native vSphere workflows they know and love to deliver high performance, space-efficient, instantly provisioned storage.
- Enhanced integrations for automated storage provisioning: Familiar VDI operations like compose, re-compose and refresh can natively leverage Virsto's high performance, space efficient vDisks for production level performance with the space-efficiency of a linked clone.
- Improved VM storage agility: Virsto offers simple, transparent vCentre VM-storage provisioning and automated space reclamation that allows server administrators to achieve end-to-end VM lifecycle management and improved agility without reliance on storage administrators for day-to-day provisioning.
- Increased efficiency and flexibility: Virsto supports up to 10,000 space-efficient, high-performance Virsto vDisks per vCentre Server--with no performance degradation--and provides non-disruptive VM snapshots and clones.
- 100 percent SSD performance, 90 percent less SSD: Virsto's unique architecture delivers 100 percent SSD performance, with 90 percent less SSD capacity, which delivers the lowest dollar per IOPS architecture and guarantees QoS across heterogeneous virtual workloads on shared hosts.
Founded in 2007, Virsto developed the first and only multi-hypervisor storage hypervisor purpose built for VMs. A close partner of VMware, Citrix and Microsoft, the company has a proven track record of innovation in storage and virtualisation. Virsto's software lets all organisations reap the full benefits of server and desktop virtualisation, increasing performance while lowering storage costs.
Pricing and availability
Virsto for vSphere 1.5 is available immediately with subscription based pricing starting at $4,000/ TB. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
"To truly realise the promise of the software-defined datacentre, you need to appropriately virtualise CPU, memory, storage and network. VMware, Microsoft and Citrix have already figured that out. CPU and memory are done, and M&A is heating up on the network side beginning with VMware's acquisition of Nicira. The last virtualisation mile for the software-defined datacentre is storage. Virsto's storage hypervisor is the most flexible, efficient and scalable implementation of software-defined storage."
Mark Davis, CEO, Virsto
"Virsto has developed differentiated storage hypervisor software that takes a unique approach by delivering a range of crucial storage management services--such as high performance, thin provisioned snapshots and clones--at the VM level, while still reducing or removing the IO bottlenecks that plague many virtualised environments. Virsto delivers the abstracted storage resources necessary to achieve the requisite high utilisation and extreme flexibility that are the storage hallmarks of a software-defined datacentre."
Mark Peters, Senior Analyst, ESG
"Virsto's unique software-only solution not only accelerates storage performance but more significantly brings advanced storage management features to the VM level providing functionality otherwise available only on specialised storage systems to users with any block storage device. Their ability to devolve storage management features into the vSphere or Hyper-V host brings enormous value to those hypervisor's inherent storage capabilities"
Howard Marks, Principal, Deepstorage.net
Virsto at VMworld 2012
Visit Virsto in booth #414 at VMworld in San Francisco, August 26-30, 2012 for a live product demo. To schedule meetings at the show, please contact email@example.com.
Tweet This: Virsto ships next generation #storage #hypervisor, Optimises VM Storage Virtualisation for the Software-Defined Datacentre http://bit.ly/NVZyvY
- Virsto Software
- Storage Hypervisor
- Virsto Blog
- Virsto on Slideshare
- Virsto on YouTube
- Virsto on Twitter