TI expands power protection circuitry portfolio, combines analog protection with digital monitoring
Hot-swap controllers integrate highest accuracy digital current monitoring, while protecting critical equipment during start-up and normal operation
Power protection with digital monitoring
The TPS2480 is designed to minimize in-rush current and protect the load and the FET from over-current or short circuit events. It controls an external N-channel MOSFET switch and provides accurate voltage, current and power monitoring via an I2C interface. This information enables telecommunications equipment, enterprise networking products, automation control systems and medical equipment to communicate precise information on their operating status, take action to respond to critical situations, and extend usable lifetime of deployed equipment.
Key features and benefits of TPS2480:
- Wide input voltage range: 9 V to 20 V.
- Flexible design: dynamic calibration, programmable FET power limit and fault timer.
- I2C monitoring of current, voltage and power.
- High-accuracy current monitoring (one percent over temperature).
Robust analog protection
TI also introduced the new TPS2492 high-voltage, power-limiting hot-swap controller to support designers who desire increased protection against voltage surges using an analog output signal for current monitoring. The controller provides excellent transient immunity, rated up to 80 volts, and filters out nuisance faults with a settable timer. A programmable overvoltage protection threshold also protects loads from unsafe voltage levels. For samples and evaluation modules visit: www.ti.com/tps2492-preu.
Features and benefits of TPS2492:
- Transient protection: 9-V to 80-V input voltage range (100-V tolerant).
- Programmable FET power limit, load current limit and fault timer.
- Monitoring and protection: Load current monitor, Power Good and fault outputs.
Availability and pricing
The TPS2480 is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors in a 20-pin, 6.4-mm x 6.6-mm TSSOP package. Suggested resale pricing is $3.00 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPS2492 is available now in a 14-pin, 6.4-mm x 6.6-mm TSSOP package. Suggested resale pricing is $1.45 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI's hot-swap and power distribution portfolio by visiting the following:
- Hot swap controllers and protection circuits: www.ti.com/protectioncircuitry
- TI E2E(TM) Community to ask questions and help solve problems with fellow engineers: www.ti.com/powerforum-preu.
Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.