85356 Freising, de
+49 (89) 898687-20
TI Introduces High-Speed, 4-A MOSFET Driver for Server and DC/DC Power Systems
8-Pin Power Supply Gate Driver Provides Industry’s Highest Efficiency at 7 V to 8 V for 40-A Per Phase
Achieving high efficiency and low electromagnetic interference (EMI) emissions, TI’s TPS28225 driver controls MOSFET gates with 4.5 V to 8.8 V, with highest power efficiency between 7 V and 8 V. The TPS28225 features 14-ns adaptive dead-time control, 14-ns propagation delays and high-current 2-A source and 4-A sink drive capability.
“Power system designers continue to require higher operating efficiency and performance when using standard 5-V and 12-V drivers,” said Larry Spaziani, product line manager of TI’s power supply control business. “Several top power customers using the TPS28225 achieve a three- to eight-percent improvement in power efficiency, while increasing their switching frequency, decreasing their module size and significantly improving transient response.”
The driver’s 0.4-ohm impedance for the lower gate driver holds the gate of the power MOSFET below its threshold level to ensure no shoot-through current occurs during high dV/dT phase node transitions. A bootstrap capacitor charged by an internal diode allows the device to use N-channel MOSFETs in half-bridge configuration.
The TPS28225 features a three-state pulse-width modulation (PWM) input, which is compatible with all multi-phase controllers, such as TI’s TPS40091, that employ a three-state output feature. The shutdown mode feature prevents a load from the reversed output voltage.
Key Features of the TPS28225:
- Optimized for highest efficiency at recommended 7 V to 8 V gate drive voltage
- Short 14-ns deadtime for high-frequency applications
- Industry’s highest efficiency at >40 A current/phase
- Low impedance sink (0.4 ohm typical) and source current (1 ohm typical) capabilities
- Drives N-channel MOSFETs in synchronous buck, boost or bridge configurations
- Can accept wide range of voltage input signals (3 V to 24 V)
- Space-saving enable (input) and Power Good (output) signals on a single pin
- Unique input stage compatible with all industry standard analog and digital controllers
- Tri-state input capability
- Provides intelligent management of narrow duty cycle signals
Pricing and Availability
The TPS28225 MOSFET driver is available today in volume from TI and its authorized distributors. The device is offered in an economical, 8-pin, SOIC and thermally enhanced 3-mm by 3-mm DFN, 8-pin package. Suggested retail pricing in 1,000-piece quantities is $0.60. Samples of the TPS28225, design application notes and TI’s easy-to-use online power management selection tool are available through power.ti.com.
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to email@example.com.