10961 Berlin, de
+44 (1892) 552-780
Synchronica Introduces Next-Generation Messaging, Adding Mobile Social Networking and Mobile Instant Messaging for Mass Market Devices
GSMA Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, Hall 2, Stand 2A35
- Mobile Gateway 5 combines mobile instant messaging (IM), web feeds, and social networking services (SNS) with push email and synchronization
- Churnbusting mass market solution that works on virtually any handset
- Based on industry standards, using IMAP, IMPS, SyncML, and ActiveSync
- Full demo available at Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, Hall 2, Stand 2A35
Synchronica plc, the international provider of nextgeneration mobile messaging services, today announced Mobile Gateway 5, a complete mobile messaging suite that enables operators to offer push email and synchronization, instant messaging, social networking services, and web feeds to consumers and business users regardless of the handset they use.
Mobile Gateway 5 enables operators to provide a broad range of mobile messaging services from a single platform aimed at increasing data usage and subscriber loyalty. Mobile Gateway enables users to connect to existing internet communities, such as Facebook, Gmail, Google Talk, and web feeds, driving traffic and user uptake, but also enables operators to create their own email and instant messaging communities, creating the stickiness that reduces churn.
Based entirely on open industry standards, Mobile Gateway 5 is a clientless solution which works on virtually any handset in use today, ensuring fast takeup in a large addressable market.
New key features introduced with Mobile Gateway 5 include:
- Mobile instant messaging - Mobile Gateway 5 enables users to connect to their existing IM services, such as Windows Live Messenger, ICQ, AIM, Google Talk, and Facebook Chat. To encourage subscriber loyalty, operators can also offer their users a carrierhosted IM community to chat, send pictures, and see others' status. Mobile Gateway 5 enables aggregation of up to five IM accounts and leverages the builtin IMPS client of most mobile phones from Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and other manufacturers and provides a downloadable IMPS client for J2MEenabled handsets. The Mobile Gateway IM community can also be accessed from a PC or smartphone, using any XMPP client like Apple's iChat.
- Mobile SNS - Mobile Gateway provides clientless push SNS for a wide range of popular social networking services, such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, to the builtin email clients of smartphones and mass market feature phones. Mobile Gateway even extends social networking to entrylevel phones by sending feeds and status updates as MMS or SMS. By simply replying to messages, users can comment on, and 'like' friends' photographs, post status updates, and wall posts and instantly upload and share photographs taken from the mobile phone's camera.
- Web feeds - Mobile Gateway 5 allows users to subscribe to live web feeds from a list of operatordefined news feeds (e.g. ESPN, BBC, Al Jazeera), as well as from any RSSenabled site of personal or business interest. Updates are pushed automatically as emails into a separate mailbox on any phone supporting the IMAP and OMA EMN or ActiveSync industry standards. On entrylevel phones, Mobile Gateway sends web feeds as an SMS or MMS including text and pictures.
The email-to-SMS, email-to-MMS, and pushto-WAP gateways of Mobile Gateway 5 connect literally any phone to email, IM, and SNS - ideal for emerging markets where PCbased access remains limited and entrylevel devices continue to dominate. The carriergrade solution delivers mobile email, IM, web feeds, and SNS through established technologies, such as SMS and MMS for basic handsets, as well as via the industry standard IMPS, IMAP, and ActiveSync for mid- to highend handsets.
According to a recent report from Frost & Sullivan on the mobile IM market in Africa and Latin America, the total market for mobile instant messaging solutions is estimated to grow to almost 500 million users by 2015 from almost zero in 2008. This represents a compound annual growth rate of 54 percent over the next five to six years in these regions alone.
Carsten Brinkschulte, CEO of Synchronica, comments: "With Mobile Gateway 5, we are providing a onestop solution for nextgeneration mobile messaging. While our competitors are busy replicating the social network sites with proprietary clients for a rather limited number of highend devices, we are using a clientless, industry standardsbased approach to connect users to email, IM, SNS, and web feeds - offering a true mass market solution with the largest possible addressable market and service uptake. Mobile Gateway 5 provides operators in particular in emerging markets with a solution that can significantly increase revenues from data traffic and can help to combat the number one problem - churn."
A recent report by Informa estimates the mobile social networking market will undergo substantial growth over the next three years. At the end of 2008, there were approximately 92.5 million mobile social networking users globally, with conservative estimates putting this number at 641.6 million by 2013.
Mobile Gateway provides push email and PIM synchronization for consumer mail services such as Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail / Windows Live, as well as for business servers, such as Microsoft Exchange, Sun Java Communications Suite, and Lotus Domino. Unlike other solutions, Mobile Gateway does not require users to install additional software on the handset or behind the firewall.
The combination of this zero footprint architecture with an additional overtheair provisioning module for service activation increases adoption rates and improves the overall user experience. Mobile Gateway 5 uses open industry standards, such as Push IMAP and SyncML, to integrate with the native email and synchronization clients built into more than 1.5 billion devices from major handset manufacturers including Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, and others.
For mobile IM, Mobile Gateway 5 supports the standards IMPS and XMPP and connects to the IM client built into handsets from Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and other leading device manufacturers.
Mobile email on your handset - Free Trial - http://www.synchronica.com/syncml-demos/demos.html
Forward to a colleague - http://synchronica.forwardtomyfriend.com/y/ktzlikhu/BBE82EB4/osity/l
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.