EU to Amend New Eco-Design Requirements for Energy-Related Products
Eco-Design Requirements for Electric Motors
The amendments are intended to exclude certain electric motors that are designed to work in extreme conditions and environments, such as high altitudes or extreme temperatures. The Commission considered the amendments and exclusion from its scope of such motors necessary because of the challenges in applying energy efficiency values and requirements to such electric motors.
Moreover, the technical developments on the electric motors market were also impacting the limits applied to altitude, air temperature and water coolant temperatures which as a consequence require a special design. Article 1 lists all electric motors where the Regulation does not apply:
- Motors that are designed to operate wholly immersed in a liquid.
- Motors integrated into a product (because their individual energy efficiency cannot be independently determined).
- Motors designed for operation at high altitudes.
- Motors designed for operation at extreme temperatures (above 60 0C or lower than -30 0C).
- Motors designed to work in potentially explosive atmospheres (as per Directive 94/9/EC).
The Annex of the regulation eases the marking requirements for the rating plate, particularly where its size does not allow the inclusion of all the information required. As a result, manufacturers are now permitted to mark only the nominal efficiency value at full rated load and voltage.
The Regulation will enter into force from 27 July 2014.
(1) Commission Regulation (EU) No 4/2014- Eco-design Requirements for Electric Motors
(2) Directive 2009/125/EC establishing a framework for the setting of eco-design requirements for energy-related products
SGS Industrial Services
As the world's leader in third party testing SGS has the global knowledge and local expertise to help you achieve compliance with Electrical& Electronics regulations covering product safety, EMC, hazardous substances (RoHS, REACH, SVHC etc), energy efficiency, Eco-design, ErP, Performance and Reliability as well as with many other consumer product related requirements. Whether you are in need of testing or services in the fields of inspection, certification, compliance assurance,outsourcing, training or auditing, sustainability consulting, SGS is ideally positioned to satisfy your needs.