Cavium Networks Introduces First 40 Gbps "Bump-in-the- Wire" Deep Packet Inspection / Application Recognition Processor Family
Single Chip NITROX® DPI II Processor Family and Cavium TurboDPI Software Offers Unmatched Inline and Coprocessor Solutions for Enterprise, Wired and Wireless Service Provider OEMs
The NITROX DPI II CN18XX family is unique in the market as it can be used in both inline and coprocessor modes. In coprocessor mode it connects over its in-built PCI Express interface to offload general purpose processors i.e. x86, MIPs or PowerPC based systems that lack such advanced hardware DPI engines. The HFA engines in CN18XX family support highly complex rules and can process millions of rules without any performance impact. This processor family further enhances Cavium's market leading Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) product portfolio that includes NITROX DPI, OCTEON II processor family and TurboDPI software. The NITROX DPI II family is fully software and rule syntax compatible with the DPI engines in Cavium's highly successful OCTEON II processor family and the NITROX DPI CN17XX family offering a wide variety of scalable and compatible system design options to customers.
With the advent of Cloud-based Services, SaaS and Social Networking all riding over Port 80, the ability to inspect content at wire speed is fast becoming a "must have" feature for many products lines. The complexities of adding just one DPI related application, let alone adding multiple DPI functions has been a daunting task to some customers given the explosive number of rules and rule complexity. DPI solutions from other vendors in the marketplace lack the capability to meet these demanding requirements in both the complexity and number of rules. Now with the HFA technology offered in NITROX DPI II, equipment manufacturers can more easily integrate DPI inline or as a coprocessor to a variety of CPUs to enable a wide array of features such as protocol analysis, application recognition, intrusion prevention, anti-malware protection, URL Filtering, unified threat management, antivirus gateways, subscriber charging, application aware QOS and service level agreements, usage monitoring and preventing denial of service.
"Cavium is truly ahead of the innovation curve for hardware deep packet inspection,"said Bob Wheeler, senior analyst at The Linley Group. "The new NITROX DPI II family provides an industry - leading combination of inline support, 40Gbps of application recognition, and no trade-offs between rule complexity and the number of rules supported, all while maintaining 100% compatibility with Cavium's sophisticated DPI technology incorporated into its OCTEON II family."
"Our new NITROX DPI II product line further extends our reach into 'bump-in-thewire' and coprocessor designs where power, space and real estate budget previously limited the ability to add complex deep packet inspection features," said Rajneesh Gaur, GM of the Coprocessors & Adapters Group, Cavium Networks. "Now OEMS building switches, routers and WAN appliances can more easily add DPI functionality."
NITROX DPI II Family Highlights
- Innovative 3rd generation Hyper Finite Automata (HFA) Deep Packet Inspection engine technology - Includes revolutionary patented technology that combines both DFA and NFA engines, and automatically directs rules to be handled by the appropriate engine
- Inline, NIC and Coprocessor modes - Can be used for inline "bump-in-the-wire," intelligent NIC or for host processor offload
- Wirespeed performance - Delivers from 2 to 40 Gbps performance independent of pattern rule-set size, with support for very large number of patterns for futureproofing designs, also supports fast incremental compilation and hot update capability
- Industry-leading rule support - Most comprehensive Perl-Compatible Regular Expression (PCRE) and POSIX Regex Syntax support including support for capture groups, back references and assertions, for applications such as Application Recognition, URL Filtering, Denial of Service, Antivirus and Intrusion Prevention.
- Widest processor compatibility - Support for OCTEON II, OCTEON Plus, x86 and other general purpose processors. Ability to offload existing MIPs and PowerPC designs.
- TurboDPI software support - Feature rich TurboDPI software recently announced by Cavium optimized for NITROX DPI II for Inline Application Recognition
- OEM customers can utilize their own in-house signatures and rules or combine with best of breed anti-malware technology providers such as Kaspersky Lab to create a single solution for protocol analysis, application recognition, URL filtering, intrusion prevention and anti-malware.
NITROX DPI II parts at 2 Gbps, 5 Gbps and 10Gbps performance are sampling in March. 20 Gbps and 40 Gbps parts will be available Mid 2011. Some members of the NITROX DPI II processor family are offered as inline only or coprocessor only configurations. Please contact your Cavium sales representative for additional details or visit www.caviumnetworks.com/nitroxdpi.
About Cavium Networks
Cavium Networks is a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for networking, communications and the digital home. Cavium Networks offers a broad portfolio of integrated, software-compatible processors ranging in performance from 100 Mbps to 40 Gbps that enable secure, intelligent functionality in enterprise, data-center, broadband/consumer and access and service provider equipment. Cavium Networks processors are supported by ecosystem partners that provide operating systems, tool support, reference designs and other services. Cavium Networks principal offices are in Mountain View, CA with design team locations in California, Massachusetts and India.
For more information, please visit: http://www.caviumnetworks.com.
Founded in 1978, Scantec is a European company headquartered in Munich with a subsidiary in the US (Ameribridge International Inc., Palo Alto), regional sales offices in Italy (Milan),Poland (Warsaw) and Czech Republic (Prague) as well as a strategic partner for system integration and IT related services. For decades Scantec is a successful hub for state of the art technology associated with know-how, providing customers with a competitive advantage, minimizing time to market by integrating innovations of start up semiconductor companies with the market power of established key players.
For more information on Scantec and our product lines, please visit our website: www.scantec.de/us