Am Pulverl 5
85051 Ingolstadt, de
+49 (89) 899143-15
Cavium Networks Expands OCTEON II Multi-core Family to Deliver Unmatched Integration and Compatibility across Widest Range of Price/Performance Points
Cavium Networks (NASDAQ: CAVM), a leading provider of semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for networking, communications, and the digital home, today set new standards for performance per dollar and performance per watt across every major performance point from 100Mbps to 40Gbps by extending its family of OCTEON II processors with four new processor lines. The new OCTEON II processor families, CN60XX, CN61XX, CN62XX, and CN66XX, integrate one to ten cnMIPS64 cores expanding both low and mid range options in a fully software compatible manner with other members of the OCTEON II and OCTEON Plus family enabling seamless reuse. With this addition, the OCTEON II family delivers 0.4 GHz to 48GHz of 64 bit compute power in a single chip with up to 32 general-purpose MIPS cores along with the most advanced networking, security and storage hardware accelerators. OCTEON II processors also feature four new, unique technologies to achieve lower power, deep packet inspection, virtualization and anti-counterfeiting which enable highly differentiated capabilities in OEM equipment. The OCTEON product line is the industry's #1 embedded multi-core processor line designed into enterprise, data center and service provider equipment including routers, switches, appliances, 3G/4G wireless base stations, RNCs, xGSNs, evolved packet core, services gateways, DPI equipment, storage switches and intelligent server adapters.
Several factors are driving increased market adoption of highly integrated, higher performance per watt OCTEON II multi-core solutions. The proliferation of smart phones and ever increasing traffic enabled by internet connection speeds are driving the need for higher performing wireless 3G/4G base stations and telecommunications infrastructure equipment. Additionally with an increasing set of Web 2.0 applications along with various types of access devices and locations, network equipment devices are integrating sophisticated security and deep-packet-inspection features. Furthermore, there is continued pressure to maintain or reduce power consumption while increasing services, availability and reliability.
"With this announcement Cavium has dramatically expanded its OCTEON II product line, providing the widest possible choice to OEM customers," said Linley Gwennap, principal analyst at The Linley Group. "Cavium's approach of combining many high-performance physical cores allows it to more easily scale cost, power, and performance to meet the diverse needs of its many Tier 1 customers."
"Close Tier 1 customer engagements have led to this expansion of OCTEON II family which features several compelling innovations and significantly increases our competitive position," said Rajiv Khemani, Vice President and General Manager of Networking and Communications, Cavium Networks. "With these OCTEON II processors, we have also increased our addressable applications to include considerably higher usage in control plane, wireless, security equipment and intelligent adapters."
OCTEON II Family Highlights
The OCTEON II family combines multiple cnMIPS64 R2 cores along with L2-L7 application and security acceleration engines, virtualization features and 100Mbps - 100Gbps of connectivity. The custom designed cnMIPS(TM) cores implement an en-hanced MIPS64 R2 instruction-set and have been architected to deliver superior per-formance per area along with dedicated compute and cache resources essential for deterministic, low-latency performance.
The newly introduced OCTEON II processors and target applications include:
1) CN60XX (1 - 2 Cores): WLAN Access points (AP), Entry-level VPN/UTM/Firewalls, Low-cost Control Plane applications, Satellite and Broad-band Gateways.
2) CN61XX and CN62XX (2 - 4 Cores): Enterprise Switches & Routers with Inte-grated Data and Control, High-performance Control Plane, UTM & Security Ap-pliances, Printers, Small to Medium Business (SMB) and Low to Mid-range Enterprise class NAS/iSCSI appliances.
3) CN66XX (6 - 10 cores): WAN Optimization, Enterprise, Data Center and Storage applications requiring 2x10GbE performance and connectivity and High-performance 3G/4G Base Stations.
These new processors incorporate a range of hardware accelerators including L2-L7 application and security acceleration engines, TCP offload, load balancing, compres-sion and support for virtualization.
The product family also supports a wide range of I/Os including XAUI, SGMII, RGMII, SRIO, PCIe Gen 2 and USB.
These new processors join the existing CN68XX, CN67XX, and CN63XX OCTEON II families giving OEMs unmatched integration and compatibility across the widest range of price/performance points.
Four revolutionary OCTEON II features
All of the OCTEON II family of processors supports four revolutionary, unique and patent-pending features:
1. Power Optimizer(TM) that dynamically adjusts power in real time depending upon the application-level processing requirement, without the need to adjust CPU voltage or clock frequency. Now application developers can specify the maximum power that a program is allowed to consume on a per core basis.
2. Hyper Finite Automata(TM) (HFA) provides the industry's best Deep Packet Inspection solution by combining both DFA and NFA architectures into one cohesive solution. Performance is unchanged regardless of the number of rules and number of flows that are processed.
3. EmVisor(TM) provides unprecedented hardware support for a complete SoC virtual-ization. Now OCTEON II CPUs can act like a series of Virtual SoCs, each with their own virtual memory, Ethernet ports, PCIe Bus and EmVisor also provides a virtual switch between Virtual SoCs. This also enables in-field software upgrades in customer equipment.
4. Authentik(TM) is a technology that allows the whole multi-core processing chip to be locked; so that OEMs that entrust third parties to assemble their systems can be assured that no rogue or counterfeit copies of their systems are also being manufactured.
Multicore Partnership to Accelerate Customer End-Solutions (PACE)
The OCTEON II product line is supported by the most comprehensive embedded multicore ecosystem with over 50 partners providing operating systems and tools, software applications and stacks, debuggers, complementary silicon, ATCA and hard-ware appliances, hardware and software consulting, and other products and services.
Pricing and Availability
Various members of the CN6XXX processor family will be offered with different hardware acceleration options, speed grades and price points. The CN62XX is available for sampling now. Complete design collateral for all of the new processors is available now for early access customers and the additional processors are expected to sample in Q2 2011. Please contact your Cavium sales representative for additional details.
About Cavium Networks
Cavium Networks is a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for networking, communications and the digital home. Cavium Networks offers a broad portfolio of integrated, software-compatible processors ranging in performance from 100 Mbps to 40 Gbps that enable secure, intelligent functionality in enterprise, data-center, broadband/consumer and access and service provider equipment. Cavium Networks processors are supported by ecosystem partners that provide operating systems, tool support, reference designs and other services. Cavium Networks principal offices are in Mountain View, CA with design team locations in California, Massachusetts and India. For more infor-mation, please visit: http://www.caviumnetworks.com.
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to email@example.com.