RWE Dea starts production from gas field Devenick
The Devenick gas project which was approved by the Government in late 2010 came on stream at an initial rate of 100 million standard cubic feet per day (2.69 million standard cubic metres). RWE Dea holds 11.3% interest in the Devenick gas field with BP as operator holding the remaining 88.7%.
"Devenick is the second of our UK projects coming on stream within two months and we are delighted with this result," says Ralf to Baben, Chief Operating Officer of RWE Dea AG. "The United Kingdom is of high strategic importance for RWE Dea and the latest production starts of Devenick and our own operated Clipper South field contribute to reach our growth targets," to Baben explains. A further considerable share is expected to come from the Breagh field, which is currently in the field development phase.
The Devenick field contains estimated 430 billion standard cubic feet of gas in place (11.6 billion standard cubic metres) and production is expected to last until the year 2025. The Devenick development connects gas production from a subsea manifold through highly insulated flowlines and high pressure control and safety systems to Marathon's East Brae platform located 34 kilometres to the south of the field. From the East Brae platform the gas is exported to the UK gas grid via the SAGE pipeline system and the terminal at St Fergus.
"I am particularly pleased that we have undertaken this challenging development without any incidents and just under two years from securing Government sanction", says Rene Pawel, Managing Director RWE Dea UK.
The licensees are:
RWE Dea UK SNS Ltd: 11.30%
BP Exploration Operating Company Ltd (operator): 50.00%
Britoil plc: 38.70%
Rwe Dea AG
RWE Dea AG, headquartered in Hamburg, is an international company operating in the field of exploration and production of natural gas and crude oil. The company deploys state-of-the-art drilling and production technologies, putting its many years' experience acquired to good use. RWE Dea has set new standards in the fields of safety and environmental protection.
RWE Dea has stakes in production facilities and concessions in Germany, the UK, Norway, Denmark and Egypt and holds exploration concessions in Algeria, Ireland, Libya, Mauretania, Poland, Trinidad & Tobago and Turkmenistan. Moreover, in Germany, RWE Dea also operates large subterranean storage facilities for natural gas. RWE Dea is part of the RWE Group, one of Europe's largest energy utilities.