Am Kaiserkai 1
20457 Hamburg, de
+49 (2153) 9597-970
PENTAX 645D/ PENTAX's First Medium-Format Digital SLR Camera
Designed to be the Top of Medium-Format Digital SLR Cameras, Thanks to Super-High-Resolution Images
The PENTAX 645D has been developed to provide superhighresolution images produced by large image sensors - something previously available only on professional models - to serious landscape and outdoor photographers. It combines exceptional image quality with excellent maneuverability and outstanding reliability to simplify professionallevel outdoor shooting. Thanks to the incorporation of a large, highperformance image sensor (measuring 44mm by 33mm) and PENTAXoriginal imageprocessing technology, it produces extrasharp, superhighresolution images with approximately 40 effective megapixels. It features remarkable durability and dependability, thanks to its lightweight but solidly built body featuring a magnesiumsteelalloy frame, reinforced glass LCD panel protectors and a reliable dustproof, weatherresistant construction. In addition, it is designed to be compatible with the majority of the existing PENTAX 645 system, so that current PENTAX 645series camera users can take advantage of their valuable assets, including highperformance smc PENTAX 645 interchangeable lenses.
1. Unprecedented image quality
(1) Superhighresolution images made possible by approximately 40 effective megapixels
The PENTAX 645D incorporates a highperformance CCD image sensor produced by Kodak. It measures 44mm by 33mm, and is approximately 1.7 times larger than its 35mmformat counterparts. Thanks to approximately 40 effective megapixels, it assures a wide dynamic range to faithfully reproduce the prevailing ambience and the sense of depth in superhighresolution images that are rich in gradation and truthful in texture description. In order to bring out the full potential of the lens and the image sensor and assure the highest level of imageresolving power, the CCD unit is designed with no lowpass filters.
(2) Highperformance, highspeed PRIME II imaging engine
The PENTAX 645D features the acclaimed, PENTAXoriginal PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II as its imaging engine. Thanks to its highspeed dataprocessing capacity and new algorithm exclusively programmed for mediumformat digital SLR cameras, this highperformance imaging engine produces superhighquality images rich in gradation and faithful in color reproduction, while allowing speedy data transmission of largevolume image data - even RAWformat images as large as some 50MB per file.
(3) 14bit A/D converter for faithful conversion of image data to digital signals
The PENTAX 645D features a highperformance A/D converter, which faithfully converts the large volume of analog image data output by the large CCD image sensor to digital signals carrying an extensive amount of image data, including resolution and gradation.
2. Solid, maneuverable body
The PENTAX 645D's main frame is made of lightweight but strong magnesiumsteel alloy, while the chassis is made of diecast aluminum to minimize the expansion and extension caused by heat and also to optimize kinematic accuracy and thermal stability. The LCD panels - one on the camera's top panel, another on the back panel - are covered with tempered glass plates for extra protection. The PENTAX 645D's body is also designed to be a compact and highly maneuverable mediumformat camera, despite the incorporation of such dependable features as a dustproof, weatherresistant construction with 70 special seals, outstanding coldresistant performance to assure solid operation at a temperature as low as -10°C, and a newly designed shutter unit with a top shutter speed of 1/4000 second that can withstand as many as 50,000 shutter releases.
3. Dual SD/SDHC memory card slots
The PENTAX 645D has a pair of memory card slots for the recording of images on both SD and SDHC memory cards. This dualslot design gives the photographer extra datastorage options: for instance, recorded images can be assigned to different cards according to recording format (such as RAW or JPEG), or one of the cards can be used as the backup of the other. The settings for each memory card slot can be easily made by dedicated button.
4. Dependable DR II mechanism to minimize dust spots
The PENTAX 645D comes equipped with the highly dependable DR (Dust Removal) II mechanism, which effectively minimizes annoying dust spots on recorded images, even when the lenses are changed in dustprone outdoor settings. By shifting UV/IRcut filters placed in front of the CCD image sensor at supersonic speed using a piezoelectric element, this mechanism effectively and efficiently shakes dust off the image sensor. Thanks to the userfriendly dustalert system, the photographer can check at a quick glance for dust adhering to the image sensor prior to the actual shooting.
5. Newly designed, highprecision 11point wideframe AF sensor
The PENTAX 645D's new SAFOX IX + wideframe autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine crosstype sensors positioned in the middle) to assure the extrahighprecision focusing demanded of mediumformat digital SLR cameras. To develop this sophisticated AF system, the entire optical system was redesigned, at the same time with the addition of the new functionality to analyze and make use of the light sources data in the field of view.
6. Advanced 77segment multipattern metering
The PENTAX 645D employs a stateoftheart, 77segment multipattern metering system to assure superhighaccuracy light metering. The exposure accuracy is further enhanced by collecting such additional data as image orientation (horizontal or vertical) and the distance to and magnification of the subject using the sensors installed inside the camera body, with the obtained data incorporated into exposure calculations.
7. Large, easytosee optical viewfinder
Incorporated in the PENTAX 645D's finder unit, a trapezoidshaped glass prism not only assures an approximately 98% field of view, but also greatly contributes to the downsizing of the camera body. Coupled with a bright, easytofocus Natural- Bright-Matte focusing screen, the PENTAX 645D's viewfinder offers a large, clear view of the subject.
8. Custom Image function to create desired visual effects with ease
The PENTAX 645D's Custom Image function lets the user easily control an image's finishing touches to more precisely reflect the user's creative intentions, or to more faithfully reproduce the ambience of the scene. The user can select one of eight modes, including the new Reversal Film mode designed to create images with the colors that are typical of reversal film. In addition, all parameters - such as saturation, hue, contrast, sharpness, key, and highlight/shadow contrast - can be easily adjusted to desired levels, so that the photographer can shoot images with great ease.
9. Versatile, multimode exposure system for faithful reproduction of creative intentions
(1) Hyper Program function The PENTAX 645D's Hyper Program function allows the user to instantly switch from Programmed AE mode to Shutter- or Aperture-Priority AE mode with a simple turn of the electric dials positioned around the grip. A single push of the green button shifts the exposure mode back to the original Programmed AE mode.
(2) Hyper Manual function
When shooting in the Metered Manual mode, the PENTAX 645's Hyper Manual mode lets the user to instantly set the proper exposure for the subject with a single push of the green button.
(3) Sensitivity-Priority mode
The unique Sensitivity-Priority (Sv) mode automatically selects the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed for the userselected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted swiftly by electronic dial on the back panel. The variable amount of the ISO could be configured to either 1/2 or 1/3 steps per click.
(4) Shutter/Aperture-Priority mode
Taking full advantage of the unique capability of digital cameras for the automatic shifting of sensitivity at any time, the Shutter/Aperture-Priority (TAv) mode automatically selects the most appropriate sensitivity for the userselected aperture/shutterspeed combination. It allows the user to effortlessly experiment with a greater range of photographic expressions.
10. Large, easytoview 3.0inch LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots
Positioned on the camera's back panel, a large 3.0inch color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots provides a clear, bright view of onscreen images and menus. Since its wideview design allows quick, effortless confirmation of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees both horizontally and vertically, the photographer has little difficulty shooting images from low and high angles. The LCD monitor is also treated with exclusive AR (Anti-Reflection) coating to minimize reflections on the screen, even in the outdoor locations under bright sunshine.
11. Long battery life
The PENTAX 645D is powered by a largecapacity, rechargeable lithiumion battery, which can capture approximately 800 images* when fully charged.
* Under testing conditions prescribed by PENTAX, when using a rechargeable D-LI90 lithiumion battery with no flash.
12. Other features
1) HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extrawide gradation range from three images with different exposures
2) Dynamic-Range Expansion function to compensate for both whitewashed (excessively overexposed) and blackedout (excessively underexposed) areas
3) Digital Level function for easy checking of the image's levels
4) Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration(available in combination with the D FA 645- and FA 645- series lenses)
5) Versatile whitebalance control system, including the CTE mode designed to emphasize the dominant color components of the captured images, which works especially well with such scene like sunset.
6) Mirror shock/operationnoise reduction function to assure smooth, quiet operation of the mirror during shooting
7) Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
8) Compatible with the SDM (Supersonic Directdrive Motor)autofocus mechanism, designed to assure smooth, quiet operation using the supersonic motor installed inside SDM lenses
9) HDMI terminal (for type C mini connectors) for highresolution image data output
10) Userfriendly, colorclassified control buttons/switches, based on the color universal design concept
11) PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAWdata processing application (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAWdata processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and browser application
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.