Nokia Siemens Networks to modernize O2 network, boosting smartphone support in the south of the UK
UK operator to improve coverage and capacity with vendor's next generation base stations
"Smartphone users want to stay connected to the network all the time, and are increasingly demanding high-speed data services," said Nigel Purdy, CTO, O2 UK. "Nokia Siemens Networks fully understands our requirements to fulfill the expectations of our smartphone customers. We have a long-standing relationship with the company and based on its past track record, we rely on its expertise in expanding and modernizing our 3G network to deliver the best possible experience to our customers."
"We are committed to providing our radio equipment to power O2's great network and increasing coverage and capacity for Telefónica O2 UK," said Rob Stent, head of customer team for Telefónica O2 UK and Ireland at Nokia Siemens Networks. "Our Flexi Multiradio Base Station is recognized as the market leader. The hardware being delivered now, as well as providing O2 customers with faster data rates and better connectivity, will also allow support for future LTE services with a simple software upgrade."
Under the contract, Nokia Siemens Networks has supplied its energy-efficient, LTE-ready, cost-saving Flexi Multiradio Base Station, the latest Radio Network Controller and its network management system NetAct for efficient configuration, optimizing and monitoring of the network. The deal also covers services including network implementation, project management, advanced technical support and consultancy services to ensure rapid network deployment for O2 during 2011.
Nokia Siemens Networks is also providing Serve atOnce Traffica, which continuously monitors service quality. This real-time capability will help O2 monitor and respond to its network intelligently to ensure that it continues to deliver the best possible service for its customers.
- Telefónica O2 UK Limited is a leading communications company for consumers and businesses in the UK, with 22 million mobile customers and over 700,000 fixed broadband customers as at 30 September 2010.
- Telefónica O2 UK Limited is part of Telefónica Europe plc, a business division of Telefónica S.A. which uses O2 as its commercial brand in the UK, Ireland, Slovakia, Germany and the Czech Republic, and has 55.3 million customers across these markets.
- In 2006 Telefónica Europe acquired Be, the UK fixed broadband provider, and in October 2007 O2 launched its broadband service using the Be network.
- O2 is the naming rights partner of The O2, the world-class entertainment venue.
- O2 employs around 11,000 people in the UK and has 490 retail stores.
- In October 2010 O2 was voted the UK’s best mobile network by the readers of both What Mobile and Mobile Choice magazine.
- O2 was ranked highest in customer satisfaction for both UK mobile and fixed broadband customers according to the J.D. Power and Associates UK Mobile and Fixed Broadband Studies 2010.
- O2’s UK mobile network covers 99% of the UK’s population. O2’s 3G network covers over 84% of the UK population and is fully HSDPA-enabled, providing speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps for customers with an HSDPA-enabled device.
- Telefónica Europe also owns 50% of Tesco Mobile, which operates in the UK and Ireland, and 50% of Tchibo Mobilfunk in Germany.
- For further press information about O2 go to www.o2.co.uk/news
Nokia Siemens Networks
Nokia Siemens Networks is a leading global enabler of telecommunications services. With its focus on innovation and sustainability, the company provides a complete portfolio of mobile, fixed and converged network technology, as well as professional services including consultancy and systems integration, deployment, maintenance and managed services. It is one of the largest telecommunications hardware, software and professional services companies in the world. Operating in 150 countries, its headquarters are in Espoo, Finland. www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com
Talk about Nokia Siemens Networks' news at http://blogs.nokiasiemensnetworks.com and find out if your country is exploiting the full potential of connectivity at www.connectivityscorecard.org
Press releases you might also be interested in
Weitere Informationen zum Thema "Kommunikation":
4 Vorteile des cloudbasierten Intranets
Ende der 1990er Jahre tauchten sie zum ersten Mal auf: Firmeneigene Intranets, die eine neue Zukunft der Zusammenarbeit versprachen. Fortan war es nicht mehr notwendig zu telefonieren oder Mitarbeiter persönlich zu treffen, um gemeinsam an Projekten zu arbeiten. Zwanzig Jahre später hat die Digitalisierung die Entwicklung um Lichtjahre weitergebracht.Weiterlesen