Nokia Siemens Networks and LG Electronics achieve record LTE data speeds
First data call at maximum downlink rate of 100 Mbps for a Class 3 USB wireless modem
The call was made using Nokia Siemens Networks' LTE radio equipment including the Flexi Multiradio Base Station, its Evolved Packet Core network elements and standardscompliant software along with a precommercial LTE USB modem from LG Electronics (LG), a global leader and technology innovator in mobile communications. The speed record comes after the announcement from November 2009, when the two companies were the first to complete endtoend LTE interoperability tests in the 2100 MHz frequency band.
"LTE is the superfast mobile broadband technology that we are able to deliver today. It helps operators address the challenge of growing data traffic as well as delivering a superior enduser experience," said Marc Rouanne, head of Network Systems, Nokia Siemens Networks. "We're driving the introduction of LTE through our collaboration with leading device vendors, such as LG ,and by providing a smooth and costefficient transition path to LTE via a software upgrade only."
The data call was made as part of extended interoperability tests conducted by Nokia Siemens Networks and LG in the 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz frequency bands at Nokia Siemens Networks' LTE R&D centers in Oulu, Finland, and Ulm, Germany.
"This successful data call at 100 Mbps shows the progress we have made towards commercial LTE deployments as well as our readiness to offer the high throughput performance expected with LTE," said Gohee Choi, vice president of LG Electronics Mobile Communication Technology Research Lab. "It builds on the interoperability tests we conducted last year with Nokia Siemens Networks, where we demonstrated a prerequisite for commercial deployments of LTE."
Nokia Siemens Networks and LG continue to work on testing LTE in other frequency bands and to improve performance. In addition to initiatives at its R&D centers, Nokia Siemens Networks has deployed a number of LG's terminals in its live overtheair field test network in the Espoo area of Finland, using reallife mobility scenarios. In addition, LG's terminals will be used in live trials with Nokia Siemens Networks' customers.
LG Electronics, Inc. (KSE: 066570.KS) is a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, mobile communications and home appliances, employing more than 84,000 people working in 115 operations including 84 subsidiaries around the world. With 2008 global sales of $44.7 billion, LG comprises of five business units - Home Entertainment, Mobile Communications, Home Appliance, Air Conditioning and Business Solutions. LG is one of the world's leading producers of flat panel TVs, audio and video products, mobile handsets, air conditioners and washing machines. LG has signed a longterm agreement to become both A Global Partner of Formula 1(TM) and A Technology Partner of Formula 1(TM) . As part of this toplevel association, LG acquires exclusive designations and marketing rights as the official consumer electronics, mobile phone and data processor of this global sporting event. For more information, please visit www.lge.com
Engage in conversation about Nokia Siemens Networks' aim to reinvent the connected world at http://unite.nokiasiemensnetworks.com and talk about its news at http://blogs.nokiasiemensnetworks.com
Find out if your country is exploiting the full potential of connectivity at http://connectivityscorecard.org
Note to Editors:
Nokia Siemens Networks has a long track record in demonstrating its technological leadership for LTE
- World's first LTE demo with handover to HSPA in November 2006 at ITU world congress in Hong Kong
- World's first multiuser field trial under realistic urban deployment conditions in December 2007 in Berlin
- First to launch LTE end to end solution on commercial hardware at Mobile World Congress in February 2008 in Barcelona
- First shipping of LTE capable base station hardware to customers in 3Q/2008
- First to demo LTE Advanced technology to ease the way for future next generation of LTE in December 2008
- First 3GPP Rel 8 (March 2009 baseline) LTE standard compliant LTE call in September 2009. With this call, made via an LTE base station based on Flexi Base Station hardware and fully standard compliant LTE software, Nokia Siemens Networks successfully demonstrated its progress in commercialization of its LTE endtoend solution and the readiness of its products for early commercial deployments.
- Nokia Siemens Networks successfully demonstrated the handover with March 09 baseline standard compliant software between different LTE cells. The LTE handover was conducted in Nokia Siemens Networks' R&D center with its proven and award winning Flexi Multiradio Base Station
- Nokia Siemens Networks conducts endtoend LTE interoperability testing with four leading device vendors across several frequency bands required in different regions including AWS, 700 MHz and 2100 MHz. The endtoend LTE interoperability testing was conducted using Nokia Siemens Networks' commercial Evolved Packet Core (EPC), consisting of the Flexi Network Server (NS) and Flexi Network Gateway (NG).
- In November 2009, Nokia Siemens Networks and LG completed first endtoend LTE interoperability testing in the 2100 MHz frequency band. The successful interoperability tests are another important milestone in the commercialization of LTE.
- The Nokia Siemens Networks EPC is based on ATCA hardware, and the software is on the 3GPP Release 8 March baseline level
- Nokia Siemens Networks is the market leader in Direct Tunnel, a precursor technology to EPC pioneered by the company. Direct Tunnel introduces a flat architecture to the core network that is an essential part of LTE networks.
- In December 2009, Nokia Siemens Networks made another first in LTE with 3GPP standardized voice calls. Successful IMScompliant voice calls and SMS messaging using standardized LTE equipment was completed, marking an important step towards commercial voiceover-LTE deployments
Nokia Siemens Networks
About Nokia Siemens Networksokia Siemens Networks is a leading global enabler of telecommunicatiNokia Siemens Networks is a leading global enabler of telecommunications services. With its focus on innovation and sustainability, the company provides a complete portfolio of mobile, fixed and converged network technology, as well as professional services including consultancy and systems integration, deployment, maintenance and managed services. It is one of the largest telecommunications hardware, software and professional services companies in the world. Operating in 150 countries, its headquarters are in Espoo, Finland. www.nokiasiemensnetworks.comons services. With its focus on innovation and sustainability, the company
Press releases you might also be interested in
Weitere Informationen zum Thema "Kommunikation":
2018 wird das Jahr der Videokonferenz
Ob im Privatleben, für das Geschäftsmeeting oder zur Optimierung des Kundenservices: Videokonferenzen sind mittlerweile nicht mehr wegzudenken. Selbst die Gesundheitsbranche hat das Tool für sich entdeckt: Arztbesuche sollen künftig vermehrt per Video abgehalten werden.Weiterlesen