44807 Bochum, de
+358 (7180) 34900
New SoLo app Rockets to victory: Nokia N97 widget competition winner announced
Guerrero's victory was announced after a 24-hour Nokia Hackathon event where an elite group of world-class developers raced to build the shortlisted apps live and against the clock. The contest held in association with Forum Nokia's Calling All Innovators competition took place between 28-29 April in Monaco at the Nokia Developer Summit.
Not only does Guerrero win a brand new Nokia N97 pre-loaded with his widget on the home screen, the application will also have prime status on the homepage of the new Ovi Store, which launches soon, and will be free to download for Nokia N97 owners in all Ovi Store launch countries. These include Australia, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Russia, Singapore, Spain, United Kingdom and the United States.
The Nokia N97, which will begin shipping in June, defines mobile internet personalization. The 3.5 inch touch display with full QWERTY keyboard means friends, social networks and news can be fully customized with frequently updated widgets of favorite web services and social networking sites.
The competition's runners up - Marco Lobb from Italy, who designed the widget, Shoppy, a shopping list application and built on-site by Inova IT from Slovenia and Bruce Hopkins, who designed Travel Planner and built by PavingWays from Germany, will also be featured on the homepage of store.ovi.mobi.
"It's mind-blowing to think that my application could potentially be used by millions of people on their Nokia handsets," commented David Emmanuel Castro Guerrero. "It's been such a great experience to watch these masters at work and see how an app is build from start to finish."
"We received over 1,300 submissions, many of which were exceptional. Pitting the best Forum Nokia developers in the business against each other and watching the apps being built in front of summit delegates was so exciting," said Pekka Pohjakallio, Vice President, Services. "By distributing through Ovi Store by Nokia, developers benefit from Nokia's global scale to provide a potentially lucrative and unrivalled opportunity at reaching a global audience of consumers."
To view all of the submissions and for more information visit www.forum.nokia.com
Notes to editors:
The full list of the ten shortlisted widgets and designers is:
- David Emmanuel Castro Guerrero (Mexico) - Social Location Widget
- Marco Lobb (Italy) - Shopping List Widget
- Bruce Hopkins (USA) - Travel Planner
- Eric Liu (Canada) - Location Based Sightseeing/Events
- Andrew Clarke (UK) - Price Comparison Widget
- Gabriel Hall (Canada) - The World Around Me
- Daniel Kleine-Albers (Germany) - Location Based Public Transport
- Porfirio Busto BenÃtez (Paraguay) - Now On TV!
- Dmytriy Kovbasyuk (Canada) - Fuel-Up!
- Tuba Tig (Turkey) - What Is Your Favourite Food?
About Calling All Innovators
A global developer competition that challenges developers to create applications that will help to better society. There are three categories developers can participate in:
- Internet Innovation - Encouraging web developers to transform consumer-focused ideas into real applications on Nokia devices
- Flash - Expanding the capabilities and user benefits of Flash Lite on Nokia S60 devices
- Emerging Markets - Urging developers to create innovative applications across mobile technology platforms that meet the needs and improve the daily lives of millions living in rural and semi-urban areas worldwide The total cash and prizes for the 2009 Calling All Innovators contest are worth more than $250,000, in addition to helping the winning developers distribute their mobile applications.
About Forum Nokia
Nokia's global developer program, Forum Nokia connects developers to tools, technical information, support, and distribution channels they can use to build and market applications around the globe. From offices in the U.S., Europe, India, Japan, China, and Singapore, Forum Nokia provides technical and business development support to developers and operators to assist them in achieving their goal of successfully launching applications and services to consumers and enterprises.
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an email@example.com.