High Efficiency USB Power Manager & Battery Charger in Compact 12mm2 Package
Featuring an input voltage range of 4.25V to 5.5V, the LTC4088 automatically limits its input current to a maximum of 1x (for USB 100mA), 5x (for USB 500mA) or 10x for wall-adapter powered applications (1A). If the power source is removed, the IC ensures that system power is available from the battery to the application's load via current flow through an internal low loss 200mOhm ideal diode, minimizing voltage drop and power dissipation. An optional external ideal diode controller is provided for driving a PFET to reduce the overall ideal diode impedance below 40mOhm.
The LTC4088's full-featured single-cell Li-Ion/Polymer battery charger has a constant-voltage, constant-current topology and allows for up to 1.2A charge current capability. Its Bat-Track™ operation keeps power dissipation low in the battery charger for optimum charge time and less heat. "Instant-on" operation allows the portable product to run immediately when power is applied without waiting for a discharged battery to charge. Furthermore, the charger includes thermal limiting, automatic recharge, standalone operation with automatic charge termination and fixed duration safety timer, low voltage trickle charging, bad battery cell detection and a thermistor input for temperature-qualified charging. Additional features of the IC are an "always-on" 3.3V, 25mA LDO for system microprocessor rails, and a suspend LDO that prevents battery drain when a device is connected to a suspended USB port. The LTC4088 is housed in a low-profile (0.75mm) 14-pin 3mm x 4mm DFN package and is guaranteed for operation from -40 C to 85 C.
Summary of Features: LTC4088
- High Efficiency USB Power Manager, Ideal Diode Controller & Battery Charger
- 200mOhm Internal Ideal Diode plus Optional External Ideal Diode Controller Seamlessly Provides Low-Loss Power Path when Input Power is Limited or Unavailable
- VBUS Operating Range: 4.25V to 5.5V (7V Absolute Maximum - Transient)
- 100mA, 500mA or 1A Input Current Limit
- Standalone Battery Charger - No Need for External uC for Charge Termination
- 1.2A Maximum Charge Current with Thermal Limiting
- Bat-Track Keeps Power Dissipation Low in the Battery Charger for Optimum Charge Time and Less Heat
- "Instant-On" Operation Allows End Application to Run Immediately without Waiting for Battery to Charge
- NTC Thermistor Input for Temperature-Qualified Charging
- Regulated "Always-On" 3.3V, 25mA LDO for System Microprocessor
- Suspend LDO Prevents Battery Drain
- Compact, Low Profile (0.75mm) 3mm x 4mm DFN-14 Package
LINEAR TECHNOLOGY GmbH
Linear Technology Corporation, a manufacturer of high performance linear integrated circuits, was founded in 1981, became a public company in 1986 and joined the S&P 500 index of major public companies in 2000. Linear Technology products include high performance amplifiers, comparators, voltage references, monolithic filters, linear regulators, DC-DC converters, battery chargers, data converters, communications interface circuits, RF signal conditioning circuits, uModule(TM) products, and many other analog functions. Applications for Linear Technology's high performance circuits include telecommunications, cellular telephones, networking products such as optical switches, notebook and desktop computers, computer peripherals, video/multimedia, industrial instrumentation, security monitoring devices, high-end consumer products such as digital cameras and MP3 players, complex medical devices, automotive electronics, factory automation, process control, and military and space systems. For more information, visit www.linear.com.
LT, LTC, LTM, Burst Mode and are registered trademarks and uModule is a trademark of Linear Technology Corp. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.