Alte Landstrasse 27
85521 Ottobrunn, de
+44 (208) 449-1007
Finjan's Research Reveals Cybercrime Path to Millions
In its latest Cybercrime Intelligence Report, Finjan shows how rogueware affiliate networks use SEO techniques to distribute their rogue Anti-Virus Software for profit
The Cybercrime Intelligence Report covers the following:
- Cybercriminals are professionally organized and operate affiliate networks to boost their malware and rogueware distribution
- To promote their rogueware, they compromise legitimate websites by injecting SEO targeted pages which include repetitive popular search keywords with minor typos
- Search engines indexed these injected pages and display them as top search results
- This SEO targeted technique has proven to be very effective and yielded almost half a million Google searches to compromised sites, according to statistics found on the criminal's server during the research
- 1.8M unique users were redirected to the rogue Anti-Virus software during 16 consecutive days
- Members of the affiliate network were rewarded for each successful redirection with 9.6 cents "a piece", which totals $ 172,800 or $ 10,800 per day
"As reported by Finjan before, cybercriminals keep on looking for improved methods to distribute their malware and rogueware. Since they make money by trading stolen data or selling rogue software, they are looking for new and innovative techniques all time. To increase the distribution reach of their rogueware, they successfully turned to SEO," said Yuval Ben-Itzhak, CTO of Finjan.
The report further details how the cybercriminals created "doorways" to redirect users searching the web. The research is described in Finjan's first Cybercrime Intelligence Report released today.
To download the report, please visit www.finjan.com/cybercrime_intelligence
Finjan MCRC specializes in the detection, analysis and research of web threats, including Crimeware, Web 2.0 attacks, Trojans and other forms of malware. Our goal is to be steps ahead of hackers and cybercriminals, who are attempting to exploit flaws in computer platforms and applications for their profit. In order to protect our customers from the next Crimeware wave and emerging malware and attack vectors, Finjan MCRC is a driving force behind the development of Finjan's next generation of security technologies used in our unified Secure Web Gateway solutions. For more information please also visit our info center and blog.
Die Nutzung von hier veröffentlichten Informationen zur Eigeninformation und redaktionellen Weiterverarbeitung ist in der Regel kostenfrei. Bitte klären Sie vor einer Weiterverwendung urheberrechtliche Fragen mit dem angegebenen Herausgeber. Bei Veröffentlichung senden Sie bitte ein Belegexemplar an firstname.lastname@example.org.