New Epson Image Enhancement IC Balances Lower Power Consumption and Colorful Images
S2D13782F automatically controls LCD panel backlighting
"LCD panel backlighting accounts for a large percentage of the overall power consumed by LCDs," said Ryuhei Miyagawa, Deputy COO of Epson's Microdevices Operations Division. "We created this product to answer customer needs for an LCD that curbs backlight current, but which maintains the brightness and expression of the panel."
With over 20 million units shipped to market, Epson has acquired significant experience and expertise in creating LCD controller ICs. It achieved the latest milestone with its AME2EX (Auto Movie Enhancement 2 Extended) image enhancement technology, which it mobilized to reduce power consumption by 30 to 50%* by controlling backlighting in real-time to an appropriate level. The IC at the same time corrects input images to optimal brightness, contrast, gamma curve*1 and saturation to achieve richly colorful images with fine contrast.
Epson also facilitates greater visibility in subtitles and other text data by applying its Adaptive Sharpness technology, which automatically distinguishes text and visual domains from input images, and subjects each domain to optimal edge reinforcement processing.
With highly stable performance across a wide range of fields, Epson's new product exhibits the reliability required for automotive applications. Going forward, the company will continue to leverage its signatory compact, energy saving and high-precision technologies to provide electronic devices and other products that exceed the vision of customers worldwide.
* 30~50% are measured values according to Epson evaluations. Power consumption reduction rates vary by the brightness of input images.
1.Lower power consumption in LCD panels Display images and natural light are subjected to automatic analysis, with controls exercised over the backlighting LED driver using PWM*2 to enable power consumption to be reduced by 30 to 50%* from conventional levels. (AME2EX - Optimizer technology)
2.Improved visual expression in LCD panels
- Linked to the backlighting control, saturation, contrast and brightness are automatically adjusted to the images being displayed, realizing optimal picture quality. (AME2EX - Optimizer technology)
- The ability to freely adjust color hue, saturation and other parameters eliminates dependence on LCD panel characteristics. (AME2EX Color Converter Engine technology)
- Reductions are achieved in gradation noise occurring due to data omission during data transfer, as well as in the block noise typical of one-segment broadcasting or other digital input images, expressing the picture in smooth and natural fashion. (Noise Canceller and Color Expander technology)
- Automatic discrimination between text and visual domains from input images, with each domain subjected to optimal edge reinforcement processing to provide greater visibility for subtitles and other text data. (Adaptive Sharpness technology)
Image expression enhancement examples
- Epson uses AME2EX - Optimizer technology to effectively lower backlighting power consumption, while enhancing the texture and brightness of dark picture areas.
Epson is a global imaging and innovation leader that is dedicated to exceeding the vision of customers worldwide through its compact, energy-saving, high-precision technologies, with a product lineup ranging from printers and 3LCD projectors for business and the home, to electronic and crystal devices.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises nearly 75,000 employees in 100 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates.
EPSON Europe Electronics GmbH
Epson Europe Electronics GmbH is a marketing, engineering and sales company and the European Headquarters for Electronic Devices of the Seiko Epson Corp., and Epson Toyocom Corp., Japan.
Since 1989 headquartered in Munich/Germany with 60 employees, Epson Europe Electronics GmbH has several European sales representatives and has a European-wide network of distributors. Epson Europe Electronics provides value added services for Semiconductors and Quartz Devices targeted to the mobile communication, automotive and home visual market. Epson products are recognized for energy saving, low power, small form factors and rapid time to market.
Information about Epson Europe Electronics GmbH is available in the Internet under www.epson-electronics.de
Press releases you might also be interested in
Weitere Informationen zum Thema "Hardware":
Umsatz konvergenter Systeme legt weltweit zu
Nach Angaben der International Data Corporation (IDC) vermeldete der „Worldwide Quarterly Converged Systems Tracker“ für das vierte Quartal 2017 einen weltweiten Anstieg der Umsätze im Bereich des konvergenten Systemmarktes um 9,1 Prozent. Hyperkonvergente Systeme outperformen, andere Teilsegmente erlebten Rückgänge.Weiterlesen