DFG/ICSU/ISSC Young Scientists Networking Conference on Integrated Science
Food poses one of the key challenges for human societies in the coming decades. Food Futures encompasses everything from what we eat and food security to the way we research and talk about food. Food is often a central theme in issues related to security, global health, demographics, geography, urbanities, culture and society, political systems, and local and global environments.
The aim of this conference is to bring together creative multidimensional, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary perspectives to address such a complex topic like food systems. The young scientists will ask what are and will be the challenges related to food, now and in the future, and they are expected to devise the next generation of research programmes and projects, looking for a suitable definition and means to reach global sustainability goals. Thus, early career scientists are invited to submit applications for participation in the DFG/ICSU/ISSC Young Scientists Networking Conference on Integrated Science.
The conference discussing the Future Earth theme Food Futures will take place in Villa Vigoni, the German-Italian Centre for Cultural and Scientific Exchange at Lake Como in Italy, from 14-19 April 2013. The conference is kindly funded by the DFG.
Closing date for applications: 14 December 2012.
The Networking Conference is open to post-doctoral researchers interested in the collaboration between the social and the natural sciences. The conference will bring together senior and leading scientists and researchers with a diversity of perspectives on food to identify top priority questions for future research on the topic.
The meeting is designed to become the starting point for new international integrated science research on Food Futures. They will provide not only a chance to fully realise the overview of the state of the art in the topic/field, but also to interact and network with leading thinkers - forging new collaborations, and fostering new compelling integrated science.
Travel expenses (economy trip) as well as cost for the stay at Villa Vigoni will be covered for successful applicants for the duration of the conference.
Please note that the seminar will be held in English only. Candidates should indicate if this would be a problem for them.
General eligibility of candidates:
- post-doctoral researchers with no more than ten years work experience following their PhD; or individuals with equivalent qualifications (preferably under the age of 40)
- interest in international, transdisciplinary, intercultural research cooperation
- a full (no more than 1 page) CV to include: a) education, b) current position, c) other relevant experiences or academic awards, d) candidate's current research topic(s)
- a list of up to five of the candidate's publications, which he/she values highest of which the best paper should be included as a reprint
- a brief outline (1 page) of how the candidate's work is relevant to the seminar topic
- a half page outlining why he/she should be participating in the meeting
- a half page abstract for candidate's proposed poster
Eligible, interested candidates are welcome to apply by emailing the requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or forward the application by mail to the ISSC.
Successful applicants will be notified in January.
Press releases you might also be interested in
Weitere Informationen zum Thema "Forschung und Entwicklung":
Lieber Künstliche Intelligenz als menschliche Dummheit?
„Wenn sie an Ihr Privatleben denken: In welchen der folgenden Situationen würden Sie eher die Entscheidung einer Künstlichen Intelligenz akzeptieren als die eines Menschen?“ So lautete die Fragestellung einer Umfrage, die von Bitkom Research durchgeführt wurde.Weiterlesen