80803 München, de
+49 (89) 318814-16
6th BioVaria to Take Place in Munich on 4 June 2013
Ascenion unveils first technology highlights
Ascenion's partner institutes will present novel approaches targeting significant medical needs in the fields of Alzheimer's disease, tuberculosis, liver regeneration and depression.
- Scientists from the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine and E.R.D.E.-AAK-Diagnostic GmbH will present novel peptides and recognition molecules that bind and neutralize agonistic antibodies associated with Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. The idea is to specifically interfere with molecular pathways that contribute to vascular lesions accompanying the symptoms of dementia.
- Another talk will showcase a new class of antibacterial compounds (benzothiazinones) that have already demonstrated exceptional anti-tuberculosis activity in preclinical studies. The project originates from an international research group including scientists from the Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology.
- A team from the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research and the University of Tübingen will introduce a novel therapeutic target for liver regeneration. The approach presents a potential alternative to transplantation which is currently the only treatment option in chronic liver damage.
- Medical researchers from Hannover Medical School and Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz will present a biomarker that was found to be predictive of the response and remission of an individual patient to monoaminergic antidepressants, the most widely used class of drugs in depression. Using such a biomarker in clinical diagnosis could significantly improve therapeutic regimens as only 30-40% of patients actually benefit from monoaminergic drugs.
The proven BioVaria format, with its short presentations and poster exhibition, gives industry representatives a good overview and allows plenty of opportunity for individual discussions with scientists and their technology transfer representatives.
This year, there will also be a Spin-off Panel for European start-ups who will present their business to a jury of industry representatives and investors in an interactive format. The Panel will be chaired by Jörn Fingerhuth, Partner at Pinsent Masons.
For further information and a full preview of technologies that have been accepted for BioVaria 2013 visit www.biovaria.org.
BioVaria brings together Europe's top scientists and technology transfer professionals with potential licensees and investors from the international biopharmaceutical industry.
Key features of BioVaria:
- Comprehensive overview of life-science technologies and spin-offs originating from European academic research
- Focus on patent-protected, commercially attractive opportunities covering research tools, diagnostics and therapeutics in the fields of cancer, infectious diseases, metabolism, autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders, and other disease areas.
- Interactive, efficient one-day format combining 10 min oral presentations with an all-day poster exhibition.
- Ample space to discuss scientific details face-to-face with the inventors.
- Jointly organized by Ascenion and a selected group of leading technology transfer organizations.
Bavarian State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Infrastructure, Transport and Technology
Sponsors gained so far:
BioM, Bayer HealthCare, Boehringer Ingelheim, MSD, Novo Nordisk, HERTIN, Sanofi, Vossius & Partner, Pinsent Masons, Bayern Kapital
Partners gained so far:
Ascenion, Austria Wirtschaftsservice Gesellschaft, Bayerische Patentallianz, BTO Bergen Teknologioverføring, EMBLEM Technology Transfer, FIST, Inven2, ipal, Lead Discovery Center, Max-Planck-Innovation, MRCT - Medical Research Council Technology, National Genome Research Network, PROvendis
Communication supporters gained so far:
ASTP, BioDeutschland, GoingPublic, iptechex, KONOCOM, transkript
The use of information published here for personal information and editorial processing is generally free of charge. Please clarify any copyright issues with the stated publisher before further use. In the event of publication, please send a specimen copy to email@example.com.