New system-on-chip MCU solution from TI helps e-metering applications become more cost-effective and energy-efficient
MSP430FE42x2 MCU's high integration and optimized peripherals lowers EBOM to $1 for single-phase, low power e-metering applications
MSP430FE42x2 key features and benefits
- Unique embedded signal processor (ESP) peripheral fully automates energy conversion by integrating two independent, high-resolution sigma-delta ADCs, programmable gain amplifiers, a temperature sensor, precision voltage reference, H/W multiplier and a dedicated fixed function MSP430 CPU.
- The ESP provides 0.1 percent accurate energy measurement over a dynamic current range of 1000- to-1, surpassing the 1 percent accuracy common in typical meters today.
- A second, fully-programmable on-chip MSP430 CPU is available for application processing and communication functions. An enhanced watchdog timer, brownout protection and a supply voltage supervisor increase system reliability.
- A 128 segment LCD driver, a three channel 16-bit pulse width modulation timer, serial communication port and a basic timer for a real-time clock function provide all functionality for a complete meter implementation while saving board space, reducing development time and streamlining time-to-market.
- Direct device operation from 3V supply with the CPU and ESP active at only 2.5 mA. During a power outage, the device can operate in standby mode at 1.1 uA with real-time clock function active. Ultra-low power can enable 10 and 20-year battery life in metering applications.
TI's complete portfolio of smart solutions drive intelligent metering applications
TI's utility metering portfolio includes optimized solutions for electricity, heat, water and gas metering, as well as for power line communication (PLC) and radio frequency (RF) interfaces such as ZigBee® for advanced metering infrastructure (AMI). As part of a smart solution, previously independent systems like meters, home thermostats and large appliances can communicate wirelessly or over existing power lines to help consumers make more informed choices about energy by displaying usage and billing information and performing demand response, remote connect and diagnostics via automatic communication to and from the utility.
Find out more about TI’s MSP430FE42x2 by visiting the links below:
- TI metering solutions: www.ti.com/meteringpr
- MSP430FE42x2 product folder: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/msp430fe4242.html
- MSP430 tools page: www.ti.com/msp430tools
- MCU videos: https://community.ti.com/media/g/microcontrollers/default.aspx
- TI’s microcontrollers: www.ti.com/mcu
- Smart metering: http://focus.ti.com/docs/solution/folders/print/407.html
- TI E2E Community and support: https://community.ti.com/forums/35.aspx
About Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 25 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.