BEITEN BURKHARDT provides Advice to WAZ Mediengruppe (WAZ Media Group) on Further Development of their Eastern European Business
(EBRD) in the Eastern European business of WAZ.
The strategic objective of such partnership in which EBRD shall invest up to Euro 40 mio., is, in particular, the further development of the politically and economically independent media within the Eastern European market. This applies to traditional media as well as the internet which shall significantly contribute to the promotion of the economy in Middle and Eastern Europe through mobile services and online-based companies. WAZ Mediengruppe views this as one of its strategic focuses and plans further expansions into this market.
The transaction signifies another big success for the Practice Group M&A team headed by Dr. Sacher who has provided comprehensive advice to WAZ for many years. Sacher is highly satisfied with the results achieved: "Strategically and economically this is a very special deal which we completed successfully together with our international partners."
Being one of the most important European media companies WAZ Mediengruppe owns an extremely diversified media portfolio in South East and Eastern Europe with 37 daily and weekly periodical titles as well as 59 journal titles, printing plants, retailers, radio- and television networks as well as television productions and internet platforms in eight countries.
EBRD was formed in 1991. Its purpose is to foster the transition to an open market economy and to encourage private and entrepreneurial initiative in the Central and Eastern European countries and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Advisor WAZ Mediengruppe:
BEITEN BURKHARDT (German law): Dr. Thomas Sacher (Project Management, Equity Partner), Dr. Christian Bienemann (Equity Partner), Dr. Daniel Kaut (Associate) (all M&A, Nuremberg), Bernhard Gemmel (Equity Partner) and Marco Tautorat (Associate) (both Banking & Finance, Frankfurt a. M.)
Schönherr (Austrian law): Markus Piuk (Partner), Dr. Monika Wildner (Partnerin) and Georg Perkowitsch (Associate)
Herbert Smith (English law): Charles Howarth (Partner) and Matthias Pannier (Associate)
Inhouse (Essen): Dr. Axel Kroll (Head of Legal Department)
About BEITEN BURKHARDT Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
- Beiten Burkhardt is an independent international law firm.
- Beiten Burkhardt provides advice on all aspects of commercial law to medium-sized companies, large corporations, banks and various industry groups, as well as to the public sector.
- Along with its offices in Germany, Beiten Burkhardt has a strong international presence in Eastern Europe, China and Brussels. We also cooperate closely with other excellent law firms in key markets.
- Beiten Burkhardt renders legal services worldwide, with around 370 lawyers working in 13 offices: Beijing, Berlin, Brussels, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt am Main, Hong Kong, Kyiv, Moscow, Munich, Nuremberg, Shanghai, St. Petersburg and Warsaw.
- For further information see www.beitenburkhardt.com